Famous for offering help & advice

Default 30 Squadron RAF book

Hi

I own a copy of "Flat Out" by John F Hamlin published 2002, I should imagine a definitive history of 30 Squadron from its formation onwards. Lots of names, photos, almost day-to-day record of its activities.

If anyone wants a look-up on a relative etc. I can but try.

just got around to reading some of the rules of the forum and I wonder if I am actually allowed to offer to look up things in a copyrighted book ????

I'm not the author of the book - if that it makes it better ...... or worse

A fountain of knowledge

Copyright doesn't apply to look ups -especially when the information is factual and published as far as I am aware.

Possibly people get confused because of the difference between conventionally published material (eg a lookup in a book which has to be transcribed) and lookups of electronically published data collections such as FWR, Ancestry or FMP where part of the subscription is covered by TOC that do not allow copy/pasting of material? For example, giving the info on a Scotlands People birth certificate is OK but posting the image of the certificate isn't.

I think this was the sentence in the forum's T&Cs that made me wonder

For the avoidance of doubt -this forum strictly forbids users to advertise or solicit ‘lookups’ from copyrighted work held elsewhere.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/te...conditions.php

I'm probably being pedantic. The book is copyrighted and I am holding it here.

A fountain of knowledge

Nothing wrong in being pedantic.
    As I understand it there is copyright which is legally binding and restrictive, then there are contractual restrictions such as a websites T&Cs restricting what you can disseminate elsewhere freely you have gained from them.

Lookups normally mean you are breaching T&Cs rather than copyright in this respect.

If a book has information that someone is looking for and you read it and then pass it on IN YOUR OWN WORDS I believe this does not breach T&C or copyright - as long as
    a) you do not offer to do look-ups
    b) no one asks for a look-up in that publication.
    So it would need to be in the course of researching that subject or person.................... just to be sure.

ETA: The best rule to work to is this

When in doubt - DON'T
    Last edited by Ladkyis; 19-08-2016 at 1:19 PM. Reason: remembered something
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

I see - well in that case I seem to have already breached a) with the possibility of a breach of b) so the thread should be ditched (with my blessing)

with apologies