Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Welch Mariners

Starting to feel at home

Default Welch Mariners

Stumped with a connection from Amlwch, Anglesey of the Edwards clan circa 1850. Relative maybe David (grandson says his name was David), maybe William (others think William) Edwards possibly born 1853.

His wife was Mary Catherine Moulsdale b. 5 Dec 1853 Amlwch and died abt 1927 Amlwch. Moulsdale's go back pretty well with many Vickers and related to Stephen Roose-Hughes (Rev) a player in the wreck of the Royal Charter.

I would like to find any marriage documentation of Edwards/M.C.Moulsdale

They had four children: William (1881), Mary Catherine (1883), Stephen (1886), Nellie (1891).
    Nellie (later became known as Lizzie???) married in Barrow 1911. She said her father "died on the beach". Other relatives have said they believe he drown on the wreck of the Catherine Renney off the Irish coast (1905). There is a stone commemorating the wreck. Supposedly four sailors drown. Three are named on the stone, one being Samuel Edwards, (Christopher Williams, AJ Robin) and one unnamed (Wm or D ???).

The Welch Mariner website has an 1853 Wm Edwards 1881 Census and 1905 drowning, but I can't make the family connection to Mary Catherine Moulsdale or any of the Children.

Clear as mud? I'd appreciate any help or info.

Is this the "Welch Mariner website" you checked?

https://www.welshmariners.org.uk/search.php
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

On the same page FreeBMD
    Marriage Dec 1/4 1879
    William Edwards and Mary Catherine Mousdale
    Registration district Bangor vol 11b page 809

No 'l' in Mary C's last name
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Yes, I'm sure this is them! It has triggered more information already. Still need bits and pieces that connect William as mariner and possibly the same person on Catherine Renney, as well as W & M.C. to children.

Every piece of the puzzle is good. I am now sure it is William not (David).

Starting to feel at home

Default Great site!

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Is this the "Welch Mariner website" you checked?

https://www.welshmariners.org.uk/search.php
    Yes, that is a very complete place. I still can't connect Mary Catherine Moulsdale to the mariner William 1853. I'm pretty sure I'm looking at him, but just hoping to find that indisputable link. Thanx for the interest. This would "clean up" a big chunk of family folklore and fill in gaps.

From FMP: Caernarvonshire Marriages
    Cathedral Church, Bangor, Oct 2nd 1879
    William Edwards, 28, bachelor, mariner, father John Edwards (pensioner, late postman)
    Mary Catherine Mousdale, 26, spinster, father Stephen Thomas Mousdale (carrier)
    William signed, Mary left her mark. Witnesses: Benjamin Williams and Samuel Mobley
    Alma

In 1911 Mary Catherine Edwards is a widow, living 4, Glan Rafon Almwch
    married 31yrs, 4 children born and still alive.

1881, Salem St, Almwch. RG11; Piece: 5590; Folio: 71; Page: 11
    Mary Cathe. Edwards 27, mariner's wife, Almwch
    Alma

1901, Fleetwood Quay, Lancashire RG13; Piece: 3977; Folio: 102
    Vessel name: Emerald. number 8807, Liverpool.
    William Edwards 48, mate seas, Amlwch
    John Kamsol 38
    Leo Held 18
    Mary Edwards 45, mates wife, visitor, Amlwch
    Alma

Brick wall demolition expert!

Interestingly Mary Catherine Moulsdale was baptised when she was 23 on 15 Nov 1876, the daughter of Stephen Thomas and Catherine Moulsdale. This took place in Amlwch parish church and her father was a carter. The baptism record lists her date of birth as 1854.

Looking at the different censuses there is a quite surprising result:

In 1851 Stephen (born 1822 Denbighshire) and Catherine (born 1826 Chester) were living in Amlwch with 2 children: Walter born in Denbighshire and Ann born in Liverpool. Stephen is described as a solicitor. In the 1861 census they are living in Amlwch, but Stephen is now a carter. His place of birth looks like “Llanfairtafhararn, Denbighshire”, but that isn’t quite correct. Walter was born in Wrexham. His fortunes were not restored by 1871, as he was a carrier and one of his sons was an agricultural labourer.

From looking at baptisms I think that Stephen was from Llanfair Talhaerarn, Denbighshire, where he was baptised 6 Jun 1821, the son of Thomas and Ellinor, who is listed as “Clerk”, but that could well have been cleric. He died in 1899 and was buried in Aberffraw on Anglesey 28 Jul aged He married Catherine Keeley in Liverpool in 1842. Interesting enough when he did his probate entry reads “Stephen Thomas Moulsdale of the British School Amlwch retired solicitor .........”.

As someone who has family living in Amlwch I can’t say that that I have ever heard of a “British School”. However, that does not mean there wasn’t one. You might find this site interesting: https://www.amlwchhistory.co.uk/index.php

Starting to feel at home

Brilliant! This pretty much says it all! Family connections, occupations connect. and the mariner William Edwards. Thank you

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast