Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Settling in

Default Grandfathers in WW1

So people on here like a challenge, if anybody on here can crack either of these, you are a better person than me My paternal grandfather was William Ryan who served in the AVC (b.1/4/1893 Bradford. m.24/4/1916 Hemsworth, d.5/3/1962 Bradford). My maternal grandfather was John Henry Atkinson (b.22/6/1897 Bradford. m.25/12/1917 Bradford. d.2/6/1972 Bradford) who came home from the trenches and ordered to strip in the garden and de-loused by my grandma. No service records appear to exist for either. Several possibilities were found and discounted, wrong dates and locations.

Hello Alan
    that is the problem with WW1 service records, over 60% of them were destroyed by bombing/fire in WW11 so it is a very lucky person who finds the record they are seeking.
    What do survive are the Medal Roll Index cards and the Medal and Award records but these are very basic giving name, (versions of) regiment, rank and service numbers without any identifying personal details. Very rarely the back of the card may have an address or small piece of information that helps identify them.

I'll take a look to see if there is anything definitive to be found.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

There are two Medal Index cards for a William Ryan in the army veterinary corps
    One has his first name as Wilfred but at the top of the card is written ' see William.'

Private Wilfred (William) Ryan
    Army Veterinary Corps
    regimental number = SE/11669
    Received the British, Victory and 15 Star medals. Against the entry for the 15 Star it says ' see William.'

The second one has all the same information but cross references with the Wilfred card. It says he was awarded the British and Victory medals in the name of Wilfred.

So if you are sure your man served in the AVC this looks like him and you now have a service number and could be searching with the name Wilfred too.

Christina

edited to add:- I have moved this thread to the WW1 1914-1918 forum
    William Burroughs

I can't find a service record or pension record for a William/Wilfred Ryan of the AVC regimental number SE/11669 so there is a very strong possibility it was amongst the 'burnt' documents.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Settling in

Thanks cristanel, this William Ryan I found in the original service records at Kew but unfortunately he was a lot older than granddad and from a different area.

There are 17 Medal Roll Index Cards for men with the name John Henry Atkinson, 4 cards for John H Atkinson and I stopped counting at 50 for those with the name John Atkinson. Not knowing a regiment makes it more difficult.

I can't find a suitable candidate in the service or pension records which would give us a service number and regiment at least.

I'm sorry but this one has defeated me because of the lack of info from which to start.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Settling in

The dates of the marriages may have a bearing on when they served because I shouldn't imagine either getting leave to toddle off home to get married.

Settling in

I can only guess at grandpa's regiment, he was in the trenches so I would say infantry and probably a local Yorkshire regiment. I remember as an infant playing in his shed with tin hats, gas mask, water bottle and live 303 rounds which my dad disarmed after giving grandpa a bollocking.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanRyan View Post
    Thanks cristanel, this William Ryan I found in the original service records at Kew but unfortunately he was a lot older than granddad and from a different area.
    Could you clarify what record you accessed at Kew for this man which gave his age and place of residence.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Settling in

This was within a couple of years from starting my research so I can't remember exact details but I was allowed into the reading room and given a box of the original records, they were very fragile and had scorch marks on the edges

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast