Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Nathaniel Smith c1776

Hi I'm David. I have been researching both my own and my wife's family tree. Her ancestors are Smiths quite a common name. Looking to find birth details of Nathaniel Smith who was born circa 1776. He died in Montrose in 1846 but can find no formal birth record for him or his wife Ann Meldrum born 1771. Any help would be welcomed.

David, BMDs (statutory records) only started in Scotland in 1855. Before that, one has to depend on Church records and hope that the ancestors were members of the Church of Scotland. See my notes on Church Records HERE

I assume that you have seen him, his wife Ann and a son William in the 1841 census for Montrose? Remember that in the 1841, enumerators were supposed to round ages over 15 down to the nearest 5 years, but they didn't all do it....

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums

So you have the proclamation of banns or marriage record for Nathaniel and Ann, available on ScotlandsPeople? By doing a basic search I narrowed it down to the 2 Aug 1807 in Montrose. Then again ScotlandsPeople says at best you will only get the name of the bride's father. Why not that of the groom I wonder?

No results whatsoever for a Nathaniel Smith 1760-1800 anywhere.

Maybe others will be able to find something. Meanwhile as this has turned into a research project I have moved it to the General Scottish Family History forum with the title Nathaniel Smith c1776

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs