Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Harry Thomas Pickering 1896

Hello my name is Jason and I am currently looking for any information on my fathers Mothers side of the family. (Pickering)
    I am from Bradford West Yorkshire and my fathers family used to live in a little village in Rocester Staffordshire.
    I have a little information on my grandmothers close family but some dates are a little out and has left me scratching my head at times lol so I thought I would join you good people and maybe get a little help.
    I have great interest in my grandmothers brother who my father always knew as Uncle Tom but I believe that his name was Harry Pickering but Harry Pickering was also his fathers name so I believe it was quite common to call someone Tom or Tommy when there was two of the said names in the same household.
    Harry Pickering Jnr joined up with his pals in 1914 (possibly the royal engineers) and we believe he served at Hill 60 in Ypres as my grandmother visited the area in the 60s. I believe Harry Pickering Jnr survived the Great War and went onto emigrate to America (possibly California. but found info that he may have moved to Massachusetts) I believe he married and had three children and died a few years after the Great War ended due to the effects of gas during the war. And that's all the info I have on my great uncle Harry Pickering Jnr.
    Great Grandfather - Harry Pickering born 1867
    Great Grandmother - Mary Ellen Pickering born 1866
    Grandmother - Lucie Mae Pickering born 1903 Uttoxeter
    Aunt - Rosie Annie Pickering born 1892 Alton Staffordshire
    Uncle - Harry Thomas Pickering Jnr born 1897 Alton Staffordshire. Possibly died 1927?
    Rosie Annie Pickering moved to Bradford from Rocester sometime before the Second World War and lucie Mae Pickering joined her and married Lawrence Peel and had a child my father Harry Peel.
    That's all the information I have on my grandmothers family and i don't know if this is 100% correct, so as you can see that Harry Pickering Jnr is the missing link for me. Any help or information would be greatly welcomed, thanks in advance Jason.

Hello Jason and welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.

I have just been trying to get my head around all your Pickering ancestors and came a cropper at the first hurdle Lucie Mae Pickering who married Lawrence Peel in 1936. On FreeBMD her name is spelt Lucy M but on her birth registration it is Lucie M Pickering. Now that is normally no problem, I just search using Luc* but I can't find her on the 1911 with a mother Mary.
    I did find your Harry Thomas birth reg in Cheadle reg district (which includes Alton) and he is registered as Harry so that helps in the search as well as knowing he used his middle name of Thomas shortened to Tom.
    In 1911 he is with his parents
    129 Briddens Row, Mill Lane, Rocester, Staffordshire
    Harry Pickering 44 Gardener
    Mary Ellen Pickering 40
    Harry Thomas Pickering 14 Telegraph boy at post office
    Julie May Pickering 7

And this is possibly him in US you referred to?

Harry T Pickering
    Street address - 83 Brookline
    Residence - Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
    Occupation - Helper
    Spouse - Helen F Pickering
    Worcester, Massachusetts, City Directory, 1927

And death reg
    Harry T Pickering Jr
    Death 1927 Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
    Volume 85
    Page 138 Volume - 86
    Reference - F63.M363 v.86

Ok. Now that I am getting my head around the basics I have to leave it for now but for others who may want to help they have some info to work from.
    Just to be sure. Are you looking to verify that the information for Harry Thomas is correct and find his WW1 record and you are wanting to move back with this family?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi again
    Forgot to say I have moved your post from the Introduce Yourself forum to the Staffordshire forum and given it the title Harry Thomas Pickering 1896 as it is definitely a research project.

Also harry Thomas birth reg was June 1/4 1896 not 1897. You will find a discrepancy of a year or two on census records and even death and marriage records because it all hinged on what the informant knew and whether those involved told the truth!

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hello Jason and welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.

129 Briddens Row, Mill Lane, Rocester, Staffordshire
    Harry Pickering 44 Gardener
    Mary Ellen Pickering 40
    Harry Thomas Pickering 14 Telegraph boy at post office
    Julie May Pickering 7

Christina
    I think Julie is actually Lucy spelled Lucie

Famous for offering help & advice

on the 1939 register Lucie May Peel, born 1903 and Lawrence Peel born 1905 - are living in Bradford. Lucie May died 1981. They married in Bradford 1936. I don't see Rosie Annie with them on the register. Lawrence died in 1978

if Harry senior and Mary Ellen stayed in Staffordshire, I think Harry died in 1937 and Mary Ellen in 1920.

as far as you know die Rosie Annie not marry ? and stayed in Bradford ?
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 09-08-2016 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Details in breach of FMP's T&Cs deleted

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I have been looking at Harry Thomas PICKERING

marriage
    1921 to Helen F FOX at Nuneaton Staffs

Birth 1922 Shirley HA 1922

Emigrated 15 Aug 1922
    Arrived 24 August 1922
    Harry was a Railway Porter next of Kin Mr J NEWBOLG 21 Cross Street Stockingford Nuneaton

Helen Pickering
    Age 22
    Birth Date: abt 1900
    Birth Place: Rugby, England
    Departure Place: Liverpool, England
    Arrival Date: 24 Aug 1922
    Arrival Place: Boston, Massachusetts, USA
    Last Residence: England

Birth Dorothy M Massachusetts 23 July 1924?

Birth Virginia Elizabeth 17 Nov 1926 Mass

Harry T Pickering
    Residence Year: 1927
    Street address: 83 Brookline
    Residence Place: Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
    Spouse: Helen F Pickering
    Publication Title:Worcester, Massachusetts, City Directory, 1927

Harry T Pickering Jr
    Death Date: 1927
    Death Place: Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
    Volume Number: 85 Page Number: 138
    Index Volume Number: 86
    Reference Number: F63.M363 v.86

1930 US Census
    Piedmont Court Worcester, Worcester, Massachusetts
    Harry F Pickering 30 Think this is meant to be Helen F PICKERING
    Shirley H Pickering 8
    Dorothy M Pickering 5
    Virginia B Pickering 3

I think the mother Helen re married and died in Ohio

1940 Us Census
    Osbert Sanborn 53
    Winnie Sanborn 59
    Shirley Pickering 18
    Dorothy Pickering 15
    Virginia Pickering 13
    Ilona Blake 9

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    on the 1939 register Lucie May Peel, born 1903 and Lawrence Peel born 1905 - are living in Bradford. Lucie May died 1981. They married in Bradford 1936. I don't see Rosie Annie with them on the register. Lawrence died in 1978

if Harry senior and Mary Ellen stayed in Staffordshire, I think Harry died in 1937 and Mary Ellen in 1920.

as far as you know die Rosie Annie not marry ? and stayed in Bradford ?
    I think some of this breaks forum rules - feel free to delete

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

wimsey - re your posts 5 and #8, amendments have now been made.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Wow! On behalf of myself and my family I am truly grateful to everyone for the information we have received in such a short space of time. It is truly wonderful reading everyone's replies and even better reading the information to my father.
    Finding we may have a direct descendent to Harry Thomas Pickering still with us is unbelievable and knowing he left a legacy of family after he passed away.
    I am so grateful to everyone (christanel-carolchipp-wimsey-geneius) and today has been very emotional.

I did find today that Mary Ellen Pickering born 1871-1955 age 84
    And Rosie Annie Pickering 1892-1974 age 82

Rosie lived the rest of her life in Bradford West Yorkshire and married James Henry Cooper

Why Rosie left to settle in Bradford is unknown (possibly the woolen industry in Bradford) and Lucie Mae Pickering joined her I will probably never know.

And also why Harry Thomas Pickering emigrated to Massachusetts, but to know that he had three children and to even know their first names is truly wonderful for us.

Myself and my father are visiting Liverpool this weekend and to know my great uncle and his wife set of for a new life there will make this weekend visiting the docks even more special.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast