Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hello Jason and welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.

Just to be sure. Are you looking to verify that the information for Harry Thomas is correct and find his WW1 record and you are wanting to move back with this family?
    Hi Christina, forgot to add that I would like to find any info on Harry Thomas Pickerings ww1 record if that is possible?

Hello Jason
    Finding WW1 service records for our ancestors is a bit of a lottery because 60 % plus of them were destroyed by bombing/fire in WW11. What makes the search even harder, without a service number, is when the name is a common one and there is no guarantee a middle name/initial was used. In your case it is also possible your gt uncle signed on as Tom Pickering.
    The paperwork that did survive are the Medal Roll Index Cards and the Medal and Award records. However the information on these is basic (very rarely there is some extra info on the back of the Medal Roll Index Cards )
    So I started with the Medal Roll Inex Cards using the search term Harry Pickering.
    I got 45 results. Four of these were in the Royal Engineers. Can discount Basil Harry, Hector Pickering and Harry J.
    So that leaves one Harry Pickering of the Lancashire Fusiliers, Royal Engineers regimental numbers 46198, 299519. However this one did not receive the 15 Star so therefore did not join up until 1915 and your gt uncle joined in 1914 you say. So that dispenses with any in the engineers.
    Of the remainder we can discount Harry G, Harry J, Harry F and Harry James.
    That leaves us with two H Pickerings, 33 Harry Pickerings and one Harry T Pickering. Details from the card for him below
    Harry T Pickering
    Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment, Northumberland Fusiliers
    Regiment numbers- 8871, 38791
    Awarded the Victory, British and 15 Star medals.
    On these cards the writing is in red and on Harry's card the Victory medal entry is in blue and next to it and the W Riding corps entry is a blue asterick and the abbreviated 'spec res' (special reserve).

The leaves 33 Harry Pickering entries which I am not even going to look at

If you do not have access to ancestry it is possible that your local library may have their free version of it. Worth asking them so you can take a look at the Medal Roll Index Cards yourself.
    I did take a look at the half dozen or so surviving service records but none of them seemed to fit your Harry Pickering or match up with the service numbers for Harry T Pickering above.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Christina for your wonderful info on Harry Thomas Pickering, I kind of realised after years of looking that it may be impossible to find any information on my great uncles war record but I will look into what my local library can tell me.

I have contacted Shirley Hero (Pickering) family and hopefully may get a reply from them and to my astonishment it looks like Shirley is very much alive and also on Facebook! So fingers crossed I may be able to contact her and say hello.

I truly appreciate everyone's help on this wonderful forum, regards Jay & Family

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12