Thread: Just joined

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Just joined

Hello,
    Ive just joined and i.m researching my mother and fathers ancestors..father is payne and mother is gilder. Ive an account with findmypast and so able to get most info through them.fathers side is a brickwall as I think they were irish...mothers side is more productive and i.ve managed to get back to about 1810 as one of my 4 times great grandfathers was a missionary in bombay...before that the trail is cold....hopefully I might be able to persuade a few experienced members to show me the way forward....many thanks for such a vast forum, i.ll get a brew and have a good look round,
    Pete

Hallo Pete, and a warm welcome to BG. As you say, it is a vast forum, but we also have a wide membership with an equally vast array of knowledge, so fingers crossed that you will be able to knock down a few brick walls.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you sue...its a fascinating forum

Starting to feel at home

Hi Pete, I too am a relatively new member of this forum. I am also researching a Payne family. My mother in laws maiden name. She was born in Chelsea, London and the family were based around that area back to 1817. I haven't found any Irish connection yet!

A small tip, if I may, for your searches....look for name variations, I have found Paine, Paygn, Paigne & Pagne.

Best of luck with your research, Lornagh

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks lornagh for the helpful tips....our paynes were in the lancashire area after ireland