Thread: Robert Seed

cimbom

Question Robert Seed

Hi this is my first time on here and have a brick wall to knock down!
    My 3rd Gt Grandfather Robert Seed was born in Bailey, Lancashire in 1805, he married Hannah Thompson on 23rd April 1827 in Stavely, Hannah was born in Coniston in 1804. In the 1840's Robert had Birch Bobbin Mill in Crook, but towards the end of the 1840's built Oak Bank Mill at Skelsmergh which stayed in the Seed family until about 1910 and is still there to this day. But I can not find out how Robert got Birch Mill in the first place, maybe he was given the mill by Hannah's father for marrying his daughter? Maybe he had his own money but I can't find his birth in Bailey and although she said she was born in Coniston on the 1851 census I can't find her birth either. I have searched and searched at Kendal Library & records office, scoured the internet but can not get beyond Robert & Hannah. So if anyone can help with their births or who owned Birch Mill before Robert I would be very grateful.
    Bye the way Robert's son Thomas inherited Oak Bank Mill and in 1892 slit his own throat with a pocket knife by the River Sprint which powered the mill, this was reported in the Westmorland Gazette, it said in the paper and on his death certificate that he was temporarily insane if they hadn't said that he could not have been buried in the Catholic part of Kendal cemetary.

Mike
    Last edited by cimbom; 29-09-2005 at 11:43 PM.

John Chapman

Default Robert Seed of Oakbank

I live at 1, Oakbank House and I gather from the new occupants of the Mill that you called recently. I believe I may be able to help with your researches as I have contact with the present occupants of Birch Mill and I know that they have amassed archive material relating to it. It would also be interesting to learn the history of the Seed family and you may also wish to know more about the house etc. Please feel free to make contact either via this site or by e-mail at i.chapman434 AT btinternet DOT com Best wishes, John Chapman
    Last edited by Mutley; 07-11-2012 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Edited Email address to deter spammers