Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Stockport Hatters

Does anyone know why in the late 19th century a Hatter from Stockport might move to Penzance in Cornwall, complete with wife and children. Thanks

Famous for offering help & advice

to be near other family relations ? because the householder's employment took them there ? in my family tree military people, railway workers and vicars seem to move around a lot

.. but you might have to provide some more information ....

are you saying their profession is hatter or their name Hatter ?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for responding, sorry to be unclear. For those who don't know, Stockport was renowned for its hat making. Many of my relatives were hat makers ("hatters"). I'm curious if there was a hat making connection involved in the move to Cornwall.

Hello
    Do you have your ancestor on the later censuses after the move to Cornwall? Is the occupation still as Hatter? Wasn't hat making an occupation with health risks? I have a vague recollection that the manufacture of hard hats used chemicals injurious to health..

In the earlier censuses in Stockport is there anyone living with them or near them from Cornwall?
    They may have been trying to get away from a situation (but moving so far does seem extreme)

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Got to admit that even today it is at least a 7 hour drive!

There was a hatting industry in Cornwall the headwear was named Gooks.

Did they move for religious reasons?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for all the responses. Clearly there could be any number of reasons and, at present i don't have anything else to go on.
    My original posting was slightly wrong ( new to this and different side of my family also from Stockport and employed in hat industry).
    The family in questions were Wheeldons from (I believe) Cromford in Derbyshire, about 10 miles form where i live now!
    They show on 1851 census in Cromford, then 1861 and 71 in Cornwall before appearing in Stocport in 1881.
    I know its a long journey as I passed through the village in which they lived at Easter (didn't know all this then) so just curious as to whether this was common, for a well-known specific reason or....?
    A return to Cornwall may be needed.

I see Thomas Wheeldon is a hatter/dyer in 1851 and is a widow with his children in Derbyshire. In 1861 he is with his new younger wife Jane born Hinckley Leicestershire. They married in Derbyshire.
    They may have just been following the work as he is a hatter/journeyman in 1861

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I see that as well as hatter Thomas Wheeldon & family at Sancreed there is brewer Samuel Wheeldon & family from Derbyshire at Saltash, St German on the 1871 census. (Samuel born 1834)

And Thomas's neighbours at Sancreed, the Woodwards, also made the move. Was Charlotte Woodward a Wheeldon before marriage ?

I asked Find My Past to look for all hatters living in Penzance, there are a few but mostly locally born (though one from Cumberland and one from Ireland) including John Tonkin Cocking, a master hatter employing 5. Charles & Charlotte Woodward from Cromford are on both 1861 & 1871 censuses for Penzance.