Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Default George Butcher Twynam 1867-1947

Hello

I am just trying to confirm whether I have the right facts for my great-grandfather George Butcher Twynam.

Birth certificate - born 7 December 1867, Downend, Arreton, Isle of Wight. Mother's name Eleanor Twynam. No father's name so I assume illegitimate. Informant of birth J Butcher. Birth registered 18 January 1868.

I have been told by a researcher that Eleanor's maiden name was Snelgrove (or Snellgrove) and that she was the widow of Walter Twynam (1811-61) of Bishopstoke, Hampshire (they married 1847). And that Eleanor's sister was Jane, who married Joseph Butcher. I can't find a census with Eleanor and Jane together to prove this.

There is an 1871 census with George Butcher, "son", aged 3, with Joseph & Jane Butcher at Arreton.
    Then an 1881 census with George Butcher, "nephew", aged 13, with Joseph & Susannah (I think Jane had died in 1875).

18 March 1890, Islington Registry Office, George Butcher Twynam (mis-spelt Twyman) married Mary Ann Burt. George giving false father's name as also George Butcher Twynam, though certificate amended on 5 June 1905 (why then ??) to remove father's name. George & Mary's first child, Pearce, born December 1890.

I think one question is, can I be sure that Eleanor (or Ellenor) was Jane's sister? And would a bastardy bond exist saying who George Butcher Twynam's father was ?

I think one question is, can I be sure that Eleanor (or Ellenor) was Jane's sister?
    There are records suggesting they are probably sisters.

Name: Walter Twynam
    Spouse: Ellenor Snellgrove
    Record Type: Marriage
    Event Date: 27 Apr 1847
    Parish: Christ Church, St Marylebone
    Borough: Westminster
    Father Name: Henry Twynam
    Spouse Father: Thomas Snellgrove
    Register Type: Parish Register

Both Elenor and Jane Snellgrove/Snelgrove baptisms name parents Thomas and Elenor. The baptisms were in Hampshire. Elenor 1830 Bishop's Waltham; Jane 1828 Bishopstoke
    Alma

Growing old Disgracefully

Alma you beat me to it yes I found marriage as well

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    Hello
    I have been told by a researcher that Eleanor's maiden name was Snelgrove (or Snellgrove) and that she was the widow of Walter Twynam (1811-61) of Bishopstoke, Hampshire (they married 1847). And that Eleanor's sister was Jane, who married Joseph Butcher. I can't find a census with Eleanor and Jane together to prove this.
    Where did this researcher find this information and have you checked it out to verify that it is correct.
    Have you found the marriage.

Marriages Jun 1848
    JOSEPH BUTCHER I of Wight. Vol no 8, Page no 376

on the same page is JANE SNELGROVE

Possible half sisters of George Butcher Twynam
    Ellen Susanna and Ann

Walter Twynam, seems to have been a property owner - so quite wealthy. Certainly Elinor lived a comfortable life after his death.
    Alma

Famous for offering help & advice

many many thanks for your very fast responses. Yes I'm aware of Ann Twynam as a half-sister. The problem with her is she was born 1846, a year before Ellenor & Walter married and if Ellenor was Ann's mother she might only have been 15 when she conceived (with Walter nearly 20 years older than Ellenor) - but I guess that's not impossible.

On the 1911 census Ellenor, living in Herne Bay, Kent says she had had 8 children with 4 already dead. She died 1912.

Marriage
    Name Thomas Snelgrove
    Spouse's Name Eleanor Goater
    Event Date 25 Jul 1825
    Event Place Alverstoke,Hampshire,England

1841 census: HO107, Piece 404, Book 18, Folio 32, Page 22
    Bishops Stoke
    Mary Snelgrove, 66, John Snelgrove 14, Eleanor 11. Also George Gover 18

Mary possibly Thomas' mother?
    Alma

Yes I'm aware of Ann Twynam as a half-sister.
    I've taken another look at the marriage between Walter and Elinor and Walter is entered as a WIDOW, therefore Ann Twynam could be his dau to a first wife.
    Alma

1841 HO107; Piece: 404; Book: 18; Folio: 26; Page: 9
    Bishops Stoke
    Walter Twyman 30
    Helen Twyman 20
    Anna Fulchen 45

Name: Walter Twynam
    Spouse: Helen Evans Atwood
    Record Type: Marriage
    Event Date: 25 Jun 1840
    Parish: Parish Chapel, St Pancras
    Borough: Camden