Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Thomas Snelgrove son of William and Mary, baptised 4th Feb 1798 at Bishopstoke. There is a note on the record: "1 wk nee Snellgrove" I've no idea what it means.
    Looking at the transcript on knightroots, it indicates that Thomas was 1 week old.

It also states that Mary's name was formerly Snellgrove (before she married William?).

Peter

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    I wonder why he was given the middle name Butcher? It seems odd that Elinor gave him to her sister, after all her husband had died a few years before George's birth, and Elinor was certainly in a financial position to look after him. Perhaps it was to save face! Doesn't explain the middle name Butcher though!
    yes I have limited knowledge of social conditions at the time - was an illegitimate child a thing of great shame ? Ellenor was still only 30 years old when her husband died. She could have remarried though it looks as if financially she didn't need to. Baby George's father may have been a married man I guess. By 1869 Ellenor had moved with her children right away from Bishopstoke and never returned there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123