Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

apologies, yes I have already looked into this - I think Helen died in 1843.

Thomas Snelgrove son of William and Mary, baptised 4th Feb 1798 at Bishopstoke. There is a note on the record: "1 wk nee Snellgrove" I've no idea what it means.
    Alma

thanks for that - no, I've no idea what that means either

On the 1911 census Ellenor, living in Herne Bay, Kent says she had had 8 children with 4 already dead. She died 1912.
    Have you tried working through the known living children born and included on earlier census, and looking for some evidence of either still alive in 1911, died pre 1911, possibly died pre 1911? Do you know what happened to Walter age 9yrs in 1861?
    Alma

George Butcher Twynam 1867-1947
    I wonder why he was given the middle name Butcher? It seems odd that Elinor gave him to her sister, after all her husband had died a few years before George's birth, and Elinor was certainly in a financial position to look after him. Perhaps it was to save face! Doesn't explain the middle name Butcher though!
    Alma

yes, I think I've asked myself the same question. When I first received the birth certificate I assumed his mother's maiden name would be Butcher - but then I couldn't find a Butcher/Twynam marriage.

Do you agree that the George Butcher on the 1871 and 1881 censuses is George Butcher Twynam ? If he went to school at Arreton I suppose he would go into the register as George Butcher. Then I guess at some point someone told him what his real surname was - otherwise he could easily have gone through life as George Butcher. Except perhaps he would have to produce a birth certificate at some point ? I wonder if he ever had contact with his mother. On the 1939 register he is actually living in Herne Bay with his spinster stepsister Mary Evans Twynam (he was widowed in 1936).

Thanks for your interest.

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Have you tried working through the known living children born and included on earlier census, and looking for some evidence of either still alive in 1911, died pre 1911, possibly died pre 1911? Do you know what happened to Walter age 9yrs in 1861?
    the legitimate children I know about are

Ann Twynam 1846-1903 unmarried (edit - perhaps not legitimate !)
    Elizabeth Twynam 1847-1898 unmarried
    Walter Twynam 1851-1917 - disappears off censuses but died in Nassau, Bahamas. I found a Bahamas newspaper article implying that his father had at some point bought land on the Bahamas which Walter junior went out to farm (he was a dairyman) - married, 6/7 children
    Mary Evans Twynam 1855-1942 unmarried
    Henry Wyatt Twynam 1858-1928 married, no children
    Thomas Twynam 1859-1931 married, 3 children
    Ellen Susanna Twynam 1862-1898 unmarried, born after her father's death

so that's seven children, 3 dead before 1911

edit - Mary Evans Twynam seems to have been executor for her brother Walter's will in 1917. In the 1920's two of his children visited their uncle Henry Wyatt Twynam in Norwich, from their home in the Bahamas.

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    yes, I think I've asked myself the same question. When I first received the birth certificate I assumed his mother's maiden name would be Butcher - but then I couldn't find a Butcher/Twynam marriage.

Do you agree that the George Butcher on the 1871 and 1881 censuses is George Butcher Twynam ? If he went to school at Arreton I suppose he would go into the register as George Butcher. Then I guess at some point someone told him what his real surname was - otherwise he could easily have gone through life as George Butcher. Except perhaps he would have to produce a birth certificate at some point ? I wonder if he ever had contact with his mother. On the 1939 register he is actually living in Herne Bay with his spinster stepsister Mary Evans Twynam (he was widowed in 1936).

Thanks for your interest.
    Yes, I certainly agree he is plain George Butcher in 1871 and 1881. He would have needed a birth certificate to claim his OAP and possibly before then. I think the fact he was living with his half sister in 1939 does suggests he knew who his natural mother was, otherwise how could he explain his surname being Twynam, same as Mary Evans Twynam.
    Alma

Walter Twynam 1851-1917 - disappears off censuses but died in Nassau, Bahamas. I found a Bahamas newspaper article implying that his father had at some point bought land on the Bahamas which Walter junior went out to farm (he was a dairyman) - married, 6/7 children
    I'm pleased you've cleared that up as I did wonder if he was the Walter in Bahamas. I came across a photo of his headstone and thought it said born 1861, a second look tells me it is indeed 1851.
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Marriage
    Name Thomas Snelgrove
    Spouse's Name Eleanor Goater
    Event Date 25 Jul 1825
    Event Place Alverstoke,Hampshire,England
    yes, at some stage I think I decided that Eleanor, nee Goater, was buried on the same day that her daughter Eleanor/Ellenor was baptised

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast