Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

How I wish I had been interested in history and families when young
    That goes for most of us, my childhood to mid teens was surrounded by 4 spinster gt Aunts who on retiring in the late 1950's, took up a new hobby, family history, when staying in the Lake District with them in the summer hols ( we lived in the Midlands) it was days visiting this cousin and that cousin several were hoteliers of well known hotels, and the church yard looking for graves etc so I had a good start and grounding....these gt Aunts kept in touch with the extended family with whom generations later and thanks to the internet I am in touch with now. If I have time over the week end I will revisit the sailings to see what I can glean.

As you realise the research in Barton is local to our next move to S Manchester and the OH family jx

Given her numerous trans-Atlantic crossings I wonder if she was working on the vessels alongside her husband or simply taking advantage of cheap staff rates
    I think she too was a chef on the vessels as I remember on at least one record that's how she was described.
    Alma

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    I think she too was a chef on the vessels as I remember on at least one record that's how she was described.
    Thanks for that snippet

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    That goes for most of us, my childhood to mid teens was surrounded by 4 spinster gt Aunts who on retiring in the late 1950's, took up a new hobby, family history, when staying in the Lake District with them in the summer hols ( we lived in the Midlands) it was days visiting this cousin and that cousin several were hoteliers of well known hotels, and the church yard looking for graves etc so I had a good start and grounding....these gt Aunts kept in touch with the extended family with whom generations later and thanks to the internet I am in touch with now. If I have time over the week end I will revisit the sailings to see what I can glean.

As you realise the research in Barton is local to our next move to S Manchester and the OH family jx
    How lucky you were.

Whenever we visit England we spend time between my wife and my families giving limited opportunity to visit Record Offices (Manchester, Blackburn and Edinburgh). My biggest frustration is the enthusiasm when talking to relatives and their promises but they rarely follow through. Only my cousin in Worcester has given me lots of stuff from his mother (my dad's sister) who lived to 106.
    My elder sister lives in Mellor near to Preston Record Offices - my ancestors originated in that area - but her interest is bird watching so minimal help there. My mother's side all lived in the Barton district but I only have one aunt left in that area and she is just recovering from the death of her husband so it doesn't seem appropriate to ask her to do research on my behalf.
    Hopefully I can get some email addresses for some of my cousins and can encourage them to do some look-ups for me.

Living so far away is frustrating but thank goodness for the internet and the forums.

David

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234