Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MORRIS CRAWCOUR c 1813-1898

This thread provides some new data on Morris Crawcour c 1813-1898 son of David Crawcour 1791-1882- my Crawcour paternal lines.
    Initial research some 10 years ago on the Crawcour lines was limited by the available census data at the time. Numbers of family trees including my own failed to identify Morris Crawcour in the 1841 and 1851 Census. Transcription errors in the surname Crawcour did not help the searches.
    However, I have located Morris in the 1841 and 1851 Census. The 1851 Census reveals that he had 2 daughters and was a widower.
    The data which I held some years ago indicated that his first wife was Anne Hardwick and the 1851 Census indicates she was dead by that date.
    This thread is the start of further research into Morris and my Crawcour paternal lines.
    1841 Census (Copyright TNA) HO107 1085 7 16 46 4
    Kent Road St.George the Martyr Surrey
    Morris CRAWCOUR 25 Tobacconist not born in county

Nb On Ancestry.Com the transcription error has recorded the surname as CRAWCOIN

1851 Census ( Copyright TNA) HO107 1535 451 3
    43 Union Street Shoreditch Hoxton New Town
    Morris CRAWCOUR H widower 37 Commercial Traveller in Bone wood and Glass Woods b Middx St Lukes
    Amelia dau u 15 b Birmingham
    Anne dau 2 Scholar b Surrey Southwark

Nb On Ancestry.Com the Transcription error records the surname as CRAWCOWN

Importantly, the 1851 Census reveals a daughter Amelia not originally identified in earlier research and born Birmingham circa 1836. The 1841 Census did not indicate any wife or child. The dob for the daughter Anne is c1849 suggesting that Morris's wife died circa 1849-1851.

I will post further.
    Phillip

The 1861 Census shows Morris Crawcour still a widower with his daughter Ann. Currently I cannot trace his elder daughter Amelia b circa 1836 Birmingham.
    1861 (Copyright TNA) RG9 235 75 30
    10 ? Buildings Shoreditch
    Morris Crawcour H Widower 49 Traveller b Middx Shoreditch
    Ann dau u 17 Bonnet Maker b Shoreditch
    + several boarders

1871 (Copyright TNA) RG10 442 39 24
    11 Leonards? Buildings Shoreditch London
    George C BAYLEY H M Railway Porter b Hertforshire Walford
    Anne L Wife 26 b Southwark
    Anne S dau 1 b St Lukes
    MORRIS CRAWCOUR H widower 58 Dealer in Fancy Goods b Westminster

1881 (Copyright TNA) RG11 393 41 15
    66 Brunwick Place Shoreditch
    Morris Crawcour H Widower 68 Traveller b Middx St Lukes
    Anne wife 30 b Middx St Lukes
    +1 lodger

Marriage Index July qtr 1879 Shoreditch 1c 353- Morris Crawcour- Ann Hardwick

1891 (Copyright TNA) will put reference numbers in later post
    Maurice Crawcour H M 80 Dealer in Stationery b London Bloomsbury
    Ann wife 45 b St Lukes

Nb Ancestry.Com have a transcription error for Crawcour and it is recorded as MAURICE CRAWIVAR)

Probate
    Morris Crawcour 66 Brunswick Place City Road Middx died 8 January 1898
    Probate to Emily Hardwick spinster and Annie Louisa Baldock (wife of Robert William Baldock) Effects £274 17s 8d

The probate suggests that Morri's wife was either dead or they may have separated

Phillip

One of the puzzles I have come across is what happened to Amelia Crawcour the eldest daughter of Morris Crawcour and unknown. In the 1861 Census there is reference to Amelia NOBLE granddaughter age 2 in the household of Morris Crawcour. On my major data base of Crawcour world wide constructed by one of my distant cousins which we developed some 10 years ago we recorded that Amelia Crawcour had married Mark Frederick NOBLE in March qtr 1858 Shoreditch. However, the GRO Marriage Certificate for Mark Frederick Noble reveals that he married Amelia Mary Anna THOMAS. What is intriguing is that the witnesses at the Church of England Marriage are Morris and Ann Crawcour.

GRO Marriage Certificate 14 February 1858
    District Parish Church St John the Baptist Hoxton
    Mark Frederick NOBLE full age bachelor Printer - John Street -father Mark Noble deceased Printer
    Amelia Mary Anna THOMAS full age spinster no occupation - Ivy Lane- father Thomas THOMAS deceased Livery Keeper
    Witnesses- Morris CRAWCOUR; Ann CRAWCOUR

I will post on Amelia Thomas and Mark Noble but the first data post 1858 indicates that Amelia was born in Birmingham which matches the record in the 1851 Census. The presence of Morris and Ann Crawcour plus the reference to Amelia Noble granddaughter of Morris suggests that there is a relationship but I have yet to identify a marriage of an Amelia Crawcour and the Amelia Thomas married in 1858 was a spinster. So, why was Amelia Mary Anna calling herself a Thomas in 1858? Was she in fact Amelia Crawcour which I believe is correct.

Phillip

There is no GRO Birth Record for Ann Crawcour including phonetic searches other than a possible Ann CROWCHER Sept qtr 1848 Islington 3 199. There is a Baptism record for an Amelia Mary Ann Thomas born 22 April 1836 - mother Mary Ann Thomas single woman Dean Street Parish of St.Martin Birmingham - baptised 6 June 1836.

Looking at the limited data on this Crawcour line other than Census data I have speculated that the 2 daughters born to Morris may have been illegimate. We do not know who the mother was of the girls and the Thomas Thomas recorded as the father of Amelia who married Mark Frederick Noble may have been the grandfather.
    There is a continuity in the census data for Amelia Noble nee Thomas b 1836 in Birmingham which links to Amelia Crawcour b 1836 Birmingham and father Morris in the 1851 Census. There is no marriage or death record for an Amelia Crawcour which matches her dob or age.

Why Amelia was not recorded as the daughter of Morris on her marriage certificate is unclear and it is also a major coincidence for Morris and Ann Crawcour to appear as witnesses at her marriage.

Deaths Amelia M A Noble age 82 Islington 1b 247 Dec qtr 1919
    Mark Frederick Noble age 59 June qtr 1897 Islington 1b 199

I will post on the Noble lines.
    Phillip

GRO Death Certificate-
    Hoxton New Town Shoreditch London
    8 January 1898
    66 Brunswick Place
    Morris Crawcour 88 years A stationer Cause of Death Decay natural; Bronchitis 1 month- Informant Samuel HARDWICK Brother in law in attendance 6 Cowper Street City Road

Old Bailey online trials- Abraham Levy- 6 July 1840 stealing from Master
    Witness- Morris Crawcour..." I live in Ash Street, Hoxton. I employed the prisoner to collect orders for me- I gave him thirty seven ink stands to use for patterns to take orders".

see JewishGen UK Jewish Surnames in London Registered Insurance Policies 15.7 1843 and 1843 Post Office Directory- Morris Crawcour Tobacconist, stationer and book seller 2 Brunswick Place Old Kent Road
    London Electoral Roll- Morris Crawcour 1877 Rule Maker 2 rooms first floor St.Leonard Shoreditch Rent paid to Bernard Leclaire 45a Brunswick Place Baker Hoxton Ward

1901 Census ( Copyright TNA) RG13 193 162 20
    31 Milnes Square Islington
    William M Noble H M 31 Photo Etcher (Proofer) b London Shoreditch
    Amelia Noble Mother Widow 63 b Birmingham
    1903 London Electoral Register Amelia Mary Ann Noble 31 Milner Square

GRO Marriage Certificate
    St Thomas Church Parish of Bethnal Green Middlesex
    14 Feb 1868
    George Croft BAYLEY full age Bachelor Rank/Profession ? 11 Le...? Buildings ? Place -father George Bayley Coachman
    Ann Louisa CRAWCOUR full age Spinster no occupation address appears to be same as groom -father Morris Crawcour Commercial Traveller
    Witnesses Morris Crawcour; ? Louisa Green?

Phillip

Noble family in Census Records-
    1871 Census ( Copyright TNA) RG10 318 38 25
    41 De Beauvoir Square Hackney
    Mark F Noble H M 33 Manager Printing Office b Middx Shoreditch
    Amelia wife 34 b Warwickshire Birmingham
    Amelia dau 12 scholar b Middx Shoreditch
    Frederick son 10 b Middx Shoreditch
    Jane dau 8 b Middx Shoreditch
    William son 1 b Middx Shoreditch

1881 Census
    (Copyright TNA) RG11 696 111 68
    7 Grayland Road Camberwell St Luke Lambeth
    Frederick Noble H M 43 Printer Machine M..? b Shoreditch
    Amelia wife 44 b Birmingham
    Amelia dau u 22 waitress b Shoreditch
    Frederick son u 20 ? Publisher b Shoreditch
    Jane dau 18 waitress b Shoreditch
    William son 12 scholar b Shoreditch
    Alice dau 8 b Shoreditch
    Lou...? dau 5 b Shoreditch

1891 (Copyright TNA) RG12 168 40 58
    20 Oxford Terrace Islington London
    Mark Noble H M 53 Printer Machine b London Shoreditch
    Amelia wife 53 b Birmingham
    William son s 21 Printer? b London Shoreditch
    Alice dau s 18 waitress Inn b Hackney
    Lor..? s dau 15 ...?? coverer b Hackney

1911 Census ( Copyright TNA) RG14 954
    111 Packington Street Islington London N
    Amelia Mary Ann Noble 74 widow Old age pensioner b Birmingham Married 52 years 8 children born 6 living 2 dead

Phillip

British Newspaper Archives contain several articles relating to the Attempted Murder by Frederick Mark Noble of his brother William Morris Noble. The data suggests that they are the sons of Amelia and Mark Frederick Noble.
    The Morning Post Tuesday February 4 1896- Frederick Mark Noble 34 Printer 22 Milner Square Islington charged with shooting his brother William Morris Noble in the back while playing cards. Their mother was in the house and Frederick said.."I said I would do it mother".
    The newspaper account stated that Frederick .." he had been on bad terms with his brother for some time past".

There are no reports regarding the Trial of Frederick or what happened to him. The 2 brothers are recorded in the Birth Index - Frederick Mark Noble June qtr 1861 Shoreditch 1c 138; William Morris Noble Sept qtr 1869 Shoreditch 1c 130

By 1901 Census William who had been in hospital for 6 weeks in 1896 following the shooting was with his mother Amelia at 31 Milner Square Islington ( already posted 1901 Census). The husband of Amelia died in 1897- Mark Frederick Noble age 59 June qtr 1897 Islington 1b 199. Amelia died 1919- Amelia M A Noble age 82 Dec qtr 1919 Islington 1b 247

William Morris Noble in 1911 Census:
    (Copyright TNA) RG14 3477 140
    32 Ethelbert Road Wimbledon SW
    William Morris Noble H M 42 Process Engineer-3 colour etcher b London Hoxton
    Edith Blanche wife 38 married 10 years 4 children 4 alive b London St Pancras
    William Morris son 8 b London Islington
    Jeane Blanch dau 7 b London Islington
    Frederick Mark son 5 b Wimbledon Surrey
    Ernest Henry son 3 b Wimbledon Surrey
    6 Rooms

Freemason Records- William Morris Noble Date of Initiation Jan 25 1894 Artist 49 Duncan Terrace Islington

This maybe the death record for Frederick- Frederick M Noble b abt 1861 June qtr 1929 age 68 Easthampstead Berkshire 2c 517

Phillip

The following data adds to previous information posted on Morris Crawcour. There remain unresolved questions about who his first wife was and what he was doing in Birmingham when his eldest child Amelia was born.
    This post concentrates on the 2nd wife of Morris Crawcour who was Ann Hardwick and adds data on her parents and siblings.
    As a start here is an early record on Morris Crawcour - Morris Crawcour Cupper and Dentist 32 Surrey Place Old Kent Road. Morris's father David Crawcour 1791-1882 my 4x great grandfather was also a Dentist in the City Road at the same period as Morris- see JewishGen UK Data base 1851 Anglo Jewry Data base ID7206 Morris Crawcour- other Crawcour are also listed- see also Cemetery Scribes and Synagogue Scribes for further data on David Crawcour and his wife and children.

By 1843 Morris Crawcour was a tobacconist,stationer, book seller 2 Brunswick Place Old Kent Road- London Insurance Policies 15.7.1843.
    In 1879 Morris had married a much younger 2nd wife Ann Hardwick.

There is a burial record for an Ann Crawcour burial 20 June 1895 Newham and Free BMD Death Index has Ann Crawcour June qtr 1895 age 51 Shoreditch 1c 59. This may well be the death of Morris Crawcour's 2nd wife.

The clue to the parents and siblings of Ann Hardwick comes from the GRO Death Certificate for Morris Crawcour:
    I bought the record 16 June 2004 but have not looked in any detail until now at the data.
    Hoxton New Town Shoreditch London

8 January 1898 66 Brunswick Place
    Morris CRAWCOUR 88 Years A stationer Cause of Death Decay natural. Bronchitis 1 month Informant Samuel HARDWICK Brother in law in attendance 6 Cowper Street City Road Registered 11 January 1898

The address of 6 Cowper Place enabled me to identify the parents and siblings of Ann Hardwick.

This is the Marriage of her parents:
    St James Church Shoreditch Middlesex
    Samuel Hardwick Bachelor 23 Engineer 7 Baches? Terrace Charles Square father Benjamin Hardwick Miller
    Emily SHELLEY 21 Spinster 3 Curson Street -father Thomas Shelley Tailor
    Witnesses
    Thomas Shelley; Sarah Ann Hardwick

More to follow.

Phillip

Default MORRIS CRAWCOUR 1813-1898-ANN HARDWICK

The following census data relates to Samuel Hardwick father of Ann and her mother and siblings:
    1871 (Copyright TNA) RG10 479 70 46
    7 St Peters Square Bethnal Green London
    Samuel HARDWICK H M 36 Factory Engineer b Bedfordshire Ampthill
    Emily wife 32 b City of London
    Herbert son 10 b Shoreditch
    Emily daughter 8 b Islington
    Lizzie dau 5 b Bethnal Green
    Ellen dau 2 b Bethnal Green

There is a Annie Hardwick in 1871 census (Copyright TNA) RG10 201 47 1
    116 Stanhope Street Pancras

She may well be the daughter of Samuel/Emily Hardwick and the eldest chidl b circa 1850. Samuel Hardwick who is the informant at the death of Morris Crawcour and recorded as his brother in law appears in the 1891-1911 census with his father a widower and his siblings:

1891 (Copyright TNA) RG12 234 39 29
    6 Cowper Street St Luke Finsbury London
    Samuel Hardwick H Widower 54 Engine Fitter b Bedfordshire Ampthill
    Herbert son s 29 Engine Driver b Islington
    Emily dau s 27 Housekeeper b Islington
    Lizzie dau s 25 Needle Hand Boot making b Bethnal Green
    Alice dau s 21 No occupation b Bethnal Green

1901 (Copyright TNA)
    RG13 260 36 21

6 Cowper Street St Luke Finsbury London
    Samuel Hardwick H Widower 65 Mill Engineer worker b Beds Ampthill
    Samuel son s 39 Repairing Mill Engineer b Shoreditch
    Emily dau s 37 House keeper to father b Islington
    Lizzie dau s 34 Milliner b Bethnal Green
    Alice dau s 31 b Bethanl Green
    Wilfred grandson 5 b St Lukes

1911 (Crown Copyright TNA) RG14 1016 3 123
    30 Dalmatia Road Southchurch Essex
    Samuel Hardwick H Widower 76 4 children 3 alive 1 dead Pensioned from firm General Engineer b Ampthill Beds
    Samuel son s 51 General Engineer b London
    Emily dau s 48 b London
    Alice dau s 40 b London
    Wilfred grandson 15 single Agents Clerk b London

Living in 5 rooms.

Phillip

This post provides data on the Hardwick family in 1939 Register:
    40 Dalmatia Road Southend Essex
    Ellen A Hardwick b 11 Oct 1869 single Unpaid Domestic duties
    Samuel H? Hardwick single b 14 Sept 1860 ? Engineer
    Wilfred Hardwick married b 27 Jan 1896 Wireless Mechanic
    Constance V Hardwick married b 2 Feb 1901
    Wilfred C Hardwick b 29 August 1933 At school

I have yet to find a GRO Birth Index record for Wilfred Hardwick b 27 Jan 1896. He appears with his grandfather and uncles/aunts in the 1901 census as previously posted on. The key question is who are his parents?

Samuel Hardwick the grandfather of Wilfred stated in the 1911 census that he had 4 children 3 alive and 1 dead - his children in the 1901 Census are Samuel,Emily,Lizzie,Alice. However, in 1891 there is a Herbert and I suspect that he maybe Samuel. All these children were single in 1891-1901 and Lizzie who appears in 1891-1901 is not with her siblings in 1911.
    In addition, Ann Hardwick who married Morris Crawcour would add up to 5 children. Did Samuel Hardwick make an error in recording 4 children and 3 alive in 1911 Census?

Is Wilfred Hardwick b 1896 an illegitimate child given that Ann Crawcour nee Hardwick appears not to have had children and maybe the Ann Crawcour died 1895 age 51? These are unanswered questions.

Phillip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast