Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re. the David Henry Rowarth, 3 mths old on the '81 Census, Free Reg has the death of a

David Henry Rowarth, Stoke Damarel, Sep 1882, age 1, 5b 196 (The 1911 Harriet Rowarth, living with sister Maria, records 4 of her 5 children "deceased".
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

genie12

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    I don't like spending other people's money when a connection isn't a direct ancestor but I do think you need to obtain the marriage certificate of David Rowarth and Harriet Collins. It should (hopefully!) tell you whether Harriet was a widow or single, and crucially the name of her father. i.e. whether he was someone Collins or Peter Truan.

And as for

A neighbour once told me that one of her aunts knocked eight years off her age because her husband was so much younger than she was. And I think we can all give one example where there is a serious discrepancy in age between two census - and that applies to both men and women. Whether the difference is deliberate or because they really had forgotten how old they were will remain forever as one of life's mysteries.

Pam
    I probably will buy the certificate because I will know one way or the other. I wouldn't bother but for the fact that in 1911
    Harriet has a sister with the surname Truan.
    My g.grandmother lost a few years off her age when she emigrated to the US.

genie12

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    RG11 2317 60 21

Harriet Roweth, "soldier's wife, born Gerrans"" -
    Good find there. Harriet has stated she is married so why is her husband single?
    Piece: RG11/2316 Place: Falmouth -Cornwall Enumeration District: 41
    Civil Parish: Budock Ecclesiastical Parish: Budock
    Folio: 123 Page: 58 Schedule: 279
    Address: Pendinnis Castle Barracks

genie12

After seeing helachau's post about Harriet Rowarth/Roweth,I decided to see if I could find Harriet Collins and she appears in 1881 as a servant born Penryn Piece: RG11/2316 Place: Falmouth -Cornwall Enumeration District: 5
    Civil Parish: Falmouth Ecclesiastical Parish: Falmouth Folio: 138 Page: 20 Schedule: 86 Address: 13 Lansdowne Road.
    I believe that she is the same person in 1871 living with her parents James and Isabella Piece: RG10/2294 Place: Falmouth -Cornwall Enumeration District: 9
    Civil Parish: Budock Ecclesiastical Parish: -
    Folio: 53 Page: 11 Schedule: 47
    Address: -
    Throughout the Cornish census my Harriet says she was born in Gerrans and in Manchester she says Churchtown and the Truan family were living at Churchtown Gerrans in earler censuses.

genie12

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Here is the post about Elizabeth, Edith and Harriet https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...6-Truan-Truran

Christina
    Thanks for putting the link up Christina.

genie12

I have just ordered the marriage certificate. If it isn't her the next question will be where does the Maria Truan sister come into it.
    It will just my luck that the marriage certificate will be found online between now and when I receive it and for free.
    I have come across some actual Cornwall marriage certifcates on the familysearch website.
    No such luck with Devon though.

A David Rowarth married a Beatrice G Whitford, Jun Qtr 1914, Truro, 5c 274

In a court case, Feb 1916, involving Beatrice Gwendoline Rowarth, and a possible bigamous marriage, her alleged first husband is referred to as David Rowarth, jun, a gunner in the R.F.A.

If this is the son of the Harriet and David Rowarth, soldier, I wonder if his father appears on the marriage cert?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

genie12

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    A David Rowarth married a Beatrice G Whitford, Jun Qtr 1914, Truro, 5c 274

In a court case, Feb 1916, involving Beatrice Gwendoline Rowarth, and a possible bigamous marriage, her alleged first husband is referred to as David Rowarth, jun, a gunner in the R.F.A.

If this is the son of the Harriet and David Rowarth, soldier, I wonder if his father appears on the marriage cert?
    I found that David was in the British army records on FMP and he was born in St Just in Roseland and he is 18 years old. His trade was shopman and he was single.
    In the report of the bigamy charge,David took his wife back after she nursed him. The chap she married whilst her husband was away in France was an Australian.
    I have just found this: Biggleswade Chronicle 02 July 1920 . It has a Beatrice Rowarth and her husband David who is a soldier. Whether it is the same couple I don't know but this certainly is the couple from Cornwall.Western Gazette Somerset, England 18 Feb 1916

genie12

I received the marriage certificate today and unfortunately it appears that she isn't the Harriet that I want.
    Harriet married on the 6th Aug 1878 and she was 23 years old and a spinster. Her residence was Morice Street Devonport.
    Harriet's father was Peter Collins and was what looks like a ? carpenter. ( I can't make out the first word.) The couple married at the register office.
    That doesn't explain why Harriet had a sister named Maria Truan visiting her and why she put her place of birth as Gerrans in 1911.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by genie12 View Post
    I received the marriage certificate today and unfortunately it appears that she isn't the Harriet that I want.
    Harriet married on the 6th Aug 1878 and she was 23 years old and a spinster. Her residence was Morice Street Devonport.
    Harriet's father was Peter Collins and was what looks like a ? carpenter. ( I can't make out the first word.) The couple married at the register office.
    That doesn't explain why Harriet had a sister named Maria Truan visiting her and why she put her place of birth as Gerrans in 1911.
    I'm sorry that (at the moment) it seems that you wasted your money on that certificate.
    However, it seems a strange coincidence that this Harriet Collins' father was called Peter as well.
    What are the details for the groom? Age, occupation, address, and his father's name and occupation.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast