Thread: Death/Dearth

Question Death/Dearth

My Great Great Grandfather emigrated from England to the US circa mid 1800's. He was born in 1839 to Ephriam and Mary Death. After he moved to the US he petitioned the State of Pennsylvania to add the "R" to his last name, thus transforming the name to Dearth. He was not recognized by the family in England as they refused to believe that he was the same person. That is all of the info that I have received as far as where he was from in England. Everything before Great Great Grandfather Lewis "Death" Dearth is silent.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Seanawn..........have heard of use of Dearth in US I know there is a chap who has a one name study and has all the variations

welcome to site ............cant see any Ephraims amongst my Deaths do you know what part of England he was in?

Welcome to Brit-Gen seanawn
    I did quite a lot of searching yesterday for an Ephraim Death who may possibly be your ggggrandather. I could only find one (using thecorrect spelling) in the England, Select Births and Christenings on ancestry.
    Baptism
    Ephraim Death
    5 July 1801 at Chevely, Suffolk, England
    Father Daniel Death, mother Rachel Bye.
    This one appears to have died age 24 in 1826 buried 20 Feb 1826 at Cheveley Cambridge so far too early to be the father of Lewis Dearth

There is another Ephraim Death baptized 24 Feb 1828 at Saint John The Evangelist, Lambeth, Surrey parents Wiilam Death and Alice Barabara. Unless this was an adult baptism this man is too young to be the father of your Lewis, I think he married Eliza Baldry in 1848. He died in 1909 inLeicester.
    What documentation do you have giving Lewis' parent's names.

When I searched for Lewis Dearth in Pennsylvania I couldn't see one and in 1850 and 1860 censuses the only one born c1839 was born in Ohio and is living there with his father Ephraim aged 60 born Ohio, mother Pauly? (1860) age 54 born Pennsylvania.
    What are the namse of Lewis' wife and children?

On the 1850 Us census Ephraim's wife and Lewis' mother is a Mary Dearth age 46 so born c1802 in Ohio.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Settling in

There was a speedway rider in the 1970's called Nigel De'ath I think from Milton Keynes

There, was no location given as to place of birth. It appears there was a falling out in the family, and only Ephraim was mentioned. Sadly I do not have anything official, what I do have is a typed written account from the family book. I have noticed a slight ""Major discrepancy" as to the Grandpa Lewis was born, either 1929 or 1939

Last edited by Seanawn; 28-07-2016 at 1:52 AM. Reason: Clarification

Ok, this is the 1860 US census which I think you will agree matches up the names with those on your list.
    Summit, Monroe, Ohio
    Ephraim Dearth 60 boron c1800
    Pauly M Dearth wife 54 born c 1806
    Lewis son 21 born c1839
    Margaret 19 c 1841
    Maria 16 c 1844

Ephraim and children allborn Ohio. Pauly M born, transcribed by ancestry as Pennsylvania.

I think you have to start considering the possibility that the story that Lewis was born in England and was estranged from his family because of a change of name is not correct.
    Especially as the censuses with Lewis and his wife Clara also give his place of birth as Ohio.

Lewis fought in the Civil War

Lewis Dearth
    Age at enlistment - 23
    Enlisted 13 Aug 1862
    Rank at enlistment - Private
    State served - Ohio
    Survived the War? Yes
    Service record - Enlisted in Company F, Ohio 116th Infantry Regiment on 27 Oct 1862.
    Mustered out on 14 Jun 1865.
    Transferred to on 14 Jun 1865.
    Birth Date c1839
    William Burroughs

Find a Grave
    Burial Lewis Dearth
    Born 25 Mar 1839 died 19 Apr 1921
    Buried Smiths Chapel Cemetery, Morgan County, Ohio, USA
    Wife Clarissa Anne Dearth, son Joseph Alva, Lillian Lorena McFerren

1880 census
    Center, Morgan, Ohio
    Lewis Dearth36, (knocked a few years off) farmer
    Clara 31
    Eva J 12
    Amanda 10
    Alva 8
    Idella 6
    Wilbur 1

All born Ohio

Ephraim's will is on ancestry, probate date 24 Jan 1857 , and he leaves his farm to Lewis to take over after the death of his wife Clara.
    Your local library may have the free version of ancestry if you don't have access to it.
    William Burroughs

Thank you so much! That definitely puts a different spin on things, and now gets me pointed in the right direction.

Hi
    Because your Lewis has turned out not to be a Death from England but a Dearth from Ohio I have given your post and replies a thread of their own in the USA genealogy forum. It's title is Death/Dearth

If you need more help just ask.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Allan F Sparrow

Joining in somewhat belatedly, I would like to confirm what Christina posted in message 3: the elder Ephraim who died in 1826 was in fact an uncle of the one who died in 1909 (born c.1828), and there were no Lewises in the family. I did a study of the Deaths of Suffolk last year, because some of them were neighbours of my own family in western Suffolk.