Thread: Lost in NSW

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Smile Lost in NSW

Hi, I'm Kent and I have been researching my family history for about ten years. My paternal grandfather and his two sisters and a brother were orphaned in 1911. The two girls ended up in local care and the boys ended up on the T. S. Ex mouth at Gray's in Essex. I have been trying for years to find out more about their father, George Thomas Foster born in West Ham, Essex in about 1870. He became Gunnery Officer on HMS Challenger which seemed to spend it's time between Sydney, NSW and Singapore. He 'disappeared' in Sydney or on his way back to the UK.i n 1908 when he was written off from the Navy List. I've tried using newspapers of the time in Sydney but have had no luck. My Grandfather, Stephen Albert Victor Foster never saw his father again. His wife was Margaret Emma Foster nee Vincent. She died of TB in 1911. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

gary.s

Hey Kent!
    A belated welcome to the site. I too had a number of relatives from West Ham dating back to the early 1800's.
    Your challenge to find info on George Thomas sounds like a difficult one. You mention having checked newspapers and it sounds like you have seen a copy of his Royal Navy service records. I'm not even sure if it is possible but the only other thing I can think of would be to try and access Sydney Police archives of missing persons reports/investigations from the time period.

Gary.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Try the New South Wales Government Gazette.

This is from a bit earlier (1849), but Australia was still a colony when your ancestor vanished:

You can search the Gazette for free at TROVE:
    https://trove.nla.gov.au/gazette/resu...ew+South+Wales

Brick wall demolition expert!

I was researching something else and came across a New South Wales Gazette from 1867 placing "wanted" ads for deserters, so if your gr. grandfather jumped ship there may well be one for him:

Quote Originally Posted by Kent2040 View Post
    George Thomas Foster born in West Ham, Essex in about 1870. .
    His date of birth is given as 1 April 1870 on his record held at The National Archives. ADM 196/34/494
    His service number 132626.
    This is supported by a birth registration on FreeBMD for a George Thomas Foster, registration district West Ham, June 1/4 1870.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Many thanks. I did have that data already but I still do not know what happened to George. He 'leaves' the Royal Navy List in 1908 as 'deserted'. I just wondered why. I have letters he wrote to his wife and one to my grandfather which were caring and loving. It must have been quite something to give everything up and never have any contact again.
    Kent

Have you looked in New Zealand for him. I did a quick search this afternoon and I am sure I saw one in NZ.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs