Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Question Ww1 records help desperately needed

Hi all.
    I am desperately trying to get ww1 records on my great grandfather. I have recently been told his cap badge looks like royal field artillery?
    Here's what I know....
    Full name. Peter Henderson
    Dob. 28 march 1889
    Place of birth. Old Machar Aberdeen
    Parents James Ronald and Annie Henderson.

The attached picture has...Peter henderson ww1 written on the back and was taken in Aberdeen.

He survived the war and soon after emigrated to the u.s.
    I only found out 18 months ago he was in the war when my aunt gave me a box of family papers. He'd buried in new York in an unmarked grave but they will mark it if I can prove his service in the army so I am desperate to find what I can xxxx

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

janbooth

I have found a WWII Draft Registration Card for him via Ancestry, Serial No U1666 giving his dob as 29 March 1889 and his place of birth as Aberdeen. Would that help in any way?

So far I have been unable to find a WWI Service record for him on either Ancestry or FindmyPast, but will keep looking and perhaps someone else will have more luck.

Janet

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Given that approx. 60% of WW1 records were destroyed(or water damaged) by fire during WW2, you may be unlucky, sadly.

There may well be bits and pieces of his records surviving.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

His medal index card should certainly be there.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks all. How do I get his medal records? I don't want to pay out to complete a full search when the odds are against his records surviving

Reputation beyond repute

Original records are at the National Archives - read their research guides for advice. Ancestry are their official partners for online WW1 service records which are free to search. There is probably also free access to Ancestry via your local library service.

Medal index cards (note the word 'index') can be searched on the National Archives web site and downloaded. They are also (mostly) on Ancestry. There are several men called Peter Henderson who served in WW1 in the Artillery. I don't see how you're going to identify your man without knowing his regimental number.