genie12

Default Peter Henry Truan and sister Harriett A Truan

Harriet Truan was born in 1845 at Gerrans to Peter and Eliza Truan. In 1851 and 1861 Harriett is living with her parents at Gerrans and the only Harriett Truan in that area in 1871 was born in 1849and working for William Chapman as a servant. The address is Farm House, Gerrans, Truro, Cornwall. I can't find anymore information about her,
    Peter Henry was born in 1840 at Gerrans and the last I can find him is in 1851. I have no idea where he is either.

Hi
    FreeBMD doesn't have a birth registration for a Harriet Truan 1845 or 1849 and the only baptism for a Harriet Truan on the Cornwall OPC site is in 1835.
    However on Cornwall OPC there is a burial for a 14 year old Harriet Elizabeth Truan in Kenwyn 23 Oct 1856. Residence St Marys.
    No parents named. No. I think this one is the daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth baptized 1843 at Kenwyn with the surname Truran.

The only baptisms I can see on Cornwall OPC to parents Peter and Eliza are George Frederick 1842 and Elizabeth 1856.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Ok so this is Peter's baptism
    Place - Veryan on 5 March 1841
    Peter Henry Trowan
    Father Peter a labourer
    mother Eliza
    Residence = Sunny Corner

and registered as Peter Henry Frowan on FreeBMD

So is this Harriet's registered as Trowan on FreeBMD Harriet Ann Truro 1844 Sept. 1/4 Hmm? this one could be the daughter of Richard and Grace.

No help finding them in later censuses but I am just looking for background which may help me and others in the search.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Harriett If you re visit this census page, you will note that the birth date is incorrect. Look how a 9 is written for Chapman's daughter. I would suggest that Harriett is aged 22, still not the correct age, maybe she told a fib about her age to secure the employment! definitely consider it to be her.

RG10; Piece: 2274; Folio: 19; Page: 17;
    Name: Harriet Illian
    Estimated birth year: abt 1842
    Relation: Servant
    Where born:
    Gerrans, Cornwall, England
    Civil Parish:Gerrans
    Town: Trewithian

genie12

FMP has her as Harriett Truran born 1849. Truran is one of the many spellings for this family which makes things very difficult.
    If she was born in 1842 that would make her 29 on the census but is she is 22 that will make her birth year 1849. Why did the enumerator put a lne through her age!!!

janbooth

The 1861 census shows her as Harriet A TRUAN, aged 16, born Gerrans, so perhaps a possibility for the birth registration Christina found in post 3 above although, as she has said, there is also a Harriet daughter of Richard & Grace TRUAN. I think Jean is correct in post 4 in that this is your Harriet TRUAN (written as TRURAN). There are only 2 females with the forename Harriet born in Gerrans that I can find in the 1871 census and the other is an unmarried Harriet MEREFIELD born c1852.

I cannot find her at all in the 1881 census, but there is a marriage registration for a Harriet TREWIN in the December qtr 1881 at Truro to a George HOLE - perhaps a possibility. No, I do not think this is your Harriet as according to both the 1891 and 1901 census records of Torquay, Devon, she is shown as born c1860 at Truro. Ah well, back to the drawing board!

Janet

genie12

I saw that census as well and discounted her.
    Haven't been able to find Peter or Harriet anywhere else. Even thought that they may have emigrated because Peter's brother George Frederick emigrated to the US.
    The surname is the problem!
    Peter and Harriet are the only siblings of Peter and Eliza that I have to find the deaths of.