Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default In search of sooooo much more

Hi everyone.
    I have been researching my tree for a long time, and I am very interested to know more about where my family are from.
    I have Gt. Gt. Gt Gradfather Philip LEVI born 1814 Born Whitechapel London and lived at Stanley Terrace London, which was the family home for many years.
    I am trying to find out where the LEVI family originated from, how they got here etc. I have so many questions.
    I am not sure if anyone has Jewish historical record books that I can have help from. But here is hoping.
    Lynn

Lynn
    Would you like to set out what data you have on Philip Levi including spouse; children; death.Levi/Levy is a very common Jewish last name and I have many Levi/Levy in my own family tree who were born in Poland; Germany; Holland. Do you have any correspondence on the lines which might indicate any clues to their origin. There are numerous records which are available but you need to provide more data so we can help you. Don't forget that present day last names are based on patriarchal names- Abraham; Isaacs; Jacob etc and then Cohen, Levy etc. Names might be amended and patronymic names adopted or trade names used.
    There are also clues in Sephardi and Ashkenazi last and forenames which might help to place an origin but in many cases the place of origin cannot be traced because of insufficient data.

Post as much detail as you can.
    Phillip

Loves to help with queries

I can find no Stanley Terrace in Whitechapel... these are from the 1891 census
    Stanley Terrace, Battersea, WANDSWORTH
    Stanley Terrace, Lewisham, LEWISHAM
    Stanley Terrace, St Barnabas, ST OLAVE
    Stanley Terrace, St Luke, GREENWICH
    Stanley Terrace, Streatham, WANDSWORTH
    Stanley Terrace, Wandsworth, WANDSWORTH

Loves to help with queries

Default Very Vague..

The following is on Synagogue Scribes
    Moses Philip Levi Married Sophie Phillips 9th June 1813

The following is taken from the 1851 database on Jewishgen importantly it has a Philip Levi born in 1814
    Philip Levi born 1814 wife Anne

1 Henry 1837 1851 census
    2 Philip 1839 1851 census
    3 Harriet 1844 1851 census
    4 Fanny 1846 1851 census
    5 Eliza 1848 1851 census
    6 Sarah A 1850 1851 census

1810s Whitechapel, London birthpl
    1830s Whitechapel, London children's birthpl
    1840s Kensington, London children's birthpl
    1850s 1 Saunders Row Kensal Green, London 1851 Census Reference: HO 107/1468 832 shoe maker

The 1851 Philip Levi posted on by Ken was a shoemaker born Whitechapel who then became a green grocer. His line can be traced in several census records. I have not posted any further data on the line until we know exactly which Philip Levi Lynn is looking for.
    Phillip

Lynn and other researchers Ancestry.Com has at least 1 family tree which has Philip Levi 1814-1900 died 20 May 1900 at 21 Stanley Terrace. This tree and there are others have this Philip Levi as the same person posted on by Ken in the 1851 Census and by me in #5. However, there appears to be confusion regarding a later marriage of this Philip Levi in 1864 green grocer with a father named as Henry Levi glass cutter. The confusion relates to the Philip Levi born 1841 having a wife Ann and children pre 1841 and on the Marriage Certificate of 1864 the Philip Levi married to Ann Beales is recorded as a bachelor.

There would need to be a lot more research required to clearly identify the lines.
    Phillip

Default PHILIP LEVI 1814-1900

The Philip Levi referred to in the last post and marrying Ann Beales in 1864 should have queried whether or not he was born 1814 and was the right Philip. I put a dob of 1841 in error.
    Phillip

I have just remembered that we have already posted on the Philip Levi lines and the Henry Levi lines some 4 years ago on this forum. Another researcher was looking for data on the lines- see Henry Levi-glass cutter; Philip/Morris Levi - first posted 28.04.2012 but also with earlier posts on the thread Some Jewish lookups. My interest was also to see if there were any links to my Jacobs glass cutters/dealers.

Would make sense to put a specific thread on the Philip Levi born 1814 but remembering that a lot of data has already been posted earlier.
    Phillip

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Phillip levi 1814

=lynnanddana;630779]Hi everyone.
    I have been researching my tree for a long time, and I am very interested to know more about where my family are from.
    I have Gt. Gt. Gt Gradfather Philip LEVI born 1814 Born Whitechapel London and lived at Stanley Terrace London, which was the family home for many years.
    I am trying to find out where the LEVI family originated from, how they got here etc. I have so many questions.
    I am not sure if anyone has Jewish historical record books that I can have help from. But here is hoping.
    Lynn
    Hi Lynn
    I have information on what your looking for this is also my family.
    Regards
    Kevin levy