Default William Whitehouse - 1821 Bath, Somerset

Hi everyone; this is my first post! I am looking for some information on a long past relative of mine - William Whitehouse - so that I can continue to trace down our family line. Here is what I know, all based off of online research so years may be slightly off:

- William Whitehouse was born in about 1821 in Bath, Somerset.
    - Lived in Bodenham, Herefordshire in 1861 as a Servant/Blacksmith Journeyman to John Went.
    - Son Henry William Whitehouse was born Oct 26, 1868.
    - Married Ann Mason (previously married to William Barber) June 14, 1869.
    - 1871, lived in St Nicholas, Herefordshire as head of household with William, John (sons from Ann's previous marriage, 8 and 5 years old) and Henry, and John Mason (Ann's father) and Ada Taylor were present at time of census (Ann Mason was not listed here or in future records).
    - 1881 still in St Nicholas, Herefordshire, but John goes by Thomas. Henry is an inmate at this time at "Working Boys Home" Bath Street in St Owen, Hereforshire.
    - 1891, he is living by himself, same place.
    - His son, Henry William Whitehouse, died November 24, 1940, after having married Emily/Emma Salmon in 1889 and moved to Canada in 1906.
    - William's father's name is also William and both were blacksmiths.

Any help with being able to trace my line back further would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Taylor

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

hi,,so was William married before he married Ann ?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by gortonboy View Post
    hi,,so was William married before he married Ann ?
    Looks like he was, gortonboy.

1851 Census
    Heath Mill Lane, Aston, Warwickshire
    William WHITE HOUSE* married 30 Blacksmith b.West Bromwich (?)
    Sarah WHITE HOUSE wife 20 b. West Bromwich
    Elizabeth WHITE HOUSE dau 1 b. West Bromwich

*Transcribed as White House instead of Whitehouse. HO107 Piece 2060 Folio 113 Page 20

Wolverine063, have you noticed that William gives his birthplace as Hereford on the 1891 census?

So that's Bath, West Bromwich and Hereford!

Peter

Hi Peter and gortonboy,

I'm not sure if that William Whitehouse is the same one as mine; there are later census' and that Whitehouse is still married to Sarah, with Elizabeth, in Warwickshire at the same time that my William is in Herefordshire.

I wonder, if perhaps he was either married before, if they had the child before marriage, or if one of the two dates are simply off?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Yes, Wolverine063, I have now seen that family on the 1861 census.

If I had double-checked before suggesting the 1851 find, I would not have made the error!

I relied on there not being two William Whitehouse born 1821 both blacksmiths.

As to the query, William was registered as unmarried in the 1861 census, so any prior marriage would have been between 1861 and 1869.

Peter
    Last edited by elsinore; 14-07-2016 at 1:24 AM. Reason: correcting date

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Taylor,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I've deleted the duplicate post you made re William headed 'Hereford or Bath' as duplicates are not allowed. It gets confusing, and often research is duplicated too. Trust me, it's so frustrating when you spend half an hour on research only to find that someone has already found those same details and posted them in another thread about the same person!

If we find that William was born somewhere other than Somerset then we can always move this thread across to a more appropriate forum.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Okay; thanks Pam! I wasn't sure and couldn't locate the Terms page at the time (found it now though).

Sounds good!