Thread: Dis A No

Default Dis A No

I have looked at the abbreviations thingy for Merchant Seamen records on the National Archives site and it doesn't tell me what this means and today I am too thick to work it out
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Kiltpin

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    I have looked at the abbreviations thingy for Merchant Seamen records on the National Archives site and it doesn't tell me what this means and today I am too thick to work it out
    Does this help -

https://www.angelfire.com/de/BobSande...men-Index.html

Regards

Kiltpin

seaweed

It means Discharge A number. Every British seaman starting with the Fourth Register of British Seamen 1913 and maintained until 1941. (The entries for 1913-1918 were destroyed, therefore the register covers the period from 1918 to 1940). had a unique Dis A number usually 6 digits prefixed with the letter "R" some of the early ones were prefixed with the letter "S"and some very early ones, with no prefix letter at all.
    Dis A numbers are an important tool in tracing Mercantile Marine/Merchant Navy ancestors as they are unique to one seaman only.

Thank you so much. This is a great help
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time