Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Calling all Crane/French/Mingay

Hello all, I have just found this website and am looking forward to sharing information with others!
    My family of 'Crane' originally came from Essex and the French/Mingay from Suffolk - near Bury St Edmunds.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums

Sharing information and helping each other is what we are all about so you are amongst like minded people/addicts.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Am looking for Crane ancestors too. My grandfather Herbert Frank Crane was born 1906 in Ryde IOW to a Mabel Rebecca Crane at 28 West Street, Ryde which I believe was a boarding house. He was brought up by a family in Poole, Dorset with the surname Pritchard.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Frank Herbert Crane

Hi Christina,
    so sorry, I have no Cranes anywhere near the IOW or Dorset can't help you here, good luck in your searches.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

The thing is, I don't know for sure if she was from the IOW. My guess is that she was sent there to have the baby. My DNA test has shown me to be connected to Cranes that had connections in Brighton, Wales and also in the US. I have not been able to find where she was born, unfortunately

Hi jc24965,

The only records I can find for Herbert Frank Crane are his birth, marriage and his death registrations, but nothing in between! I don't see him on the 1911 census or the 1939 register. Also I haven't found a birth registration for a Mabel Rebecca Crane. Do you know the first names and approximate years of birth for the Pritchards?
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Hi jc24965,

The only records I can find for Herbert Frank Crane are his birth, marriage and his death registrations, but nothing in between! I don't see him on the 1911 census or the 1939 register. Also I haven't found a birth registration for a Mabel Rebecca Crane. Do you know the first names and approximate years of birth for the Pritchards?
    He is on the 1939 register but the surname was spelt wrong which is why you can't find it, but I can't find him on the 1911 register either. The Pritchards I think were: David born 1874 in Middlesex but died in Poole in 1953. His wife I believe was Annie. Still checking this out. They didn't have their own children but adopted (or fostered) my grandfather, and also Frederick George Townsend born 1913 and another boy called Reggie. They lived at 38 Castle Street, Poole but not sure what date they lived their from but they were definitely there when my grandfather got married and David Pritchard was still living there until his death in 1953.