Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

Default Martin Richardson - Ripon to Australia

I am looking for Martin Richardson, born circa 1842 in Ripon, no birth registration or baptism found.

He is on the census for 1851 with parents Henry and Mary. In 1861 he is in Killingworth as an apprentice Blacksmith.

No sighting until 1877 when he appears on the passenger list of 'the star of the west' leaving New York for Australia.

Can anyone read his wife's maiden surname? Can anyone work out who and where he married? Does it say 'he in hospital'?

I searched the Trove newspaper archive and have some great newspaper articles on the arrival of the Star of the West, which gives quite a detailed account of the voyage and the disembarkation of the new arrivals. It also talks about one passenger who was mildly ill and taken to the local hospital. (Macquarie Street)

What happened to Martin and his wife after this? I can find no trace.

Grateful for any input, nudges in the right direction, etc.

Mrs P

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Mrs P,

What is your source for the passenger list?

Have you found a marriage for Martin?

Peter

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrsPoppy View Post
    I am looking for Martin Richardson, born circa 1842 in Ripon, no birth registration or baptism found...

In 1861 he is in Killingworth as an apprentice...

No sighting until 1877 when he appears on the passenger list of 'the star of the west' leaving New York for Australia...

Can anyone read his wife's maiden surname?...

Mrs P
    Hi again, Mrs P. I think you mean Killinghall for the 1861 place. (?)

Looking at Free BMD for 1861 to 1877 (single before then, married after) there are only 5 results thrown up for Martin Richardson. If you look at the possible maiden names given on the same pages - do any of them look viable?

Cheers, MTS

There is also a marriage for a Martindale James Richardson in 1875. I can't find a birth for him.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi Peter.

I'm on my kindle again and working mainly from my write up. Images are on my broken laptop and usb.

The passenger list/immigration document I found on Ancestry with images. I can't remember the collection - I will get the collection name. The list states that Martin Richardson, from Yorkshire, parents Henry & Mary. Mrs Richardson, (no first name). Parents I think might have been William & Eliza, born London. I can't read surname.

I haven't found a marriage, that is one of the things I wondered if anyone could work out. Thank you for replying.

MTS - yes sorry, think predictive text catching me out. Can't see what I've typed on this kindle till it's on the board and didn't notice that error.

I did look through the possibles but as I can't read the surname I'm not sure. They didn't look right to me so I wondered if he married in USA. Thank you for looking.

Christanel - I will follow that one up. Thank you.

The list I found, two lots of images, was the all new south Wales Australia assisted immigrant passenger lists 1828-1896. It is Martin M Richardson, which is an incorrect transcription, as it says M Richardson and Martin written above it. I think the other image was under Marten Richardson, again a transcription error.

Mrs p

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrsPoppy View Post
    The list I found, two lots of images, was the all new south Wales Australia assisted immigrant passenger lists 1828-1896. It is Martin M Richardson, which is an incorrect transcription, as it says M Richardson and Martin written above it. I think the other image was under Marten Richardson, again a transcription error.

Mrs p
    Found them - images 3 and 15 in the set. Sorry - I can't make it out either, even on inverted colours, big small and magnifying glass!

First glance looks like William or Wilkin, but the individual letters don't match up. D'oh.

Looks like she was born Middlesex, and her parents look like Wm / Eliza ... residence London.

Best I can do I'm afraid.

Cheers, MTS

Knowledgeable and helpful

Ditto MTS, that surname is really hard to decipher.

Couldn't find Martin on the US 1870 Census Collection, which suggests that he travelled there between 1870 and 1877.

Still looking!

Peter

janbooth

Mrs RICHARDSON, aged 24, London, parents Wm & Eliza WILLETT?, London. There is a William WILLETT, aged 65, Baker, born Leeds with wife Lizzie in the 1881 census of Lambeth (RG11/587, folio 73, page 7) who may be worth further investigation. Will have a further look tomorrow.

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Mrs RICHARDSON, aged 24, London, parents Wm & Eliza WILLETT?, London. There is a William WILLETT, aged 65, Baker, born Leeds with wife Lizzie in the 1881 census of Lambeth (RG11/587, folio 73, page 7) who may be worth further investigation. Will have a further look tomorrow.

Janet
    This looks like him in 1861 census. Which makes it look like Lizzie, his wife in 1881 is his second wife.
    RG 9 piece 331 folio 48 page 29
    Southwark St George the Martyr
    William Willetts 46 Baker, born Yorkshire
    Louisa Willetts 48 wife born Spitalfields, Middlesex
    Emma Willetts 27 dau Shoreditch, Middlesex.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast