Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Looking for family name Gosschalk and Beek

For my family tree am looking for all kinds of information on family names Gosschalk and Beek,starting with Abraham Gosschalk,born Hull 1873 who ao lived 141 Stepney Green,he married December 24,1899 in East London synagogue with Betje(Betze)Beek,born in Amsterdam 1878.
    They had 2 children Aaron(1901-1942) and Esther (1903-1943)who was killed in the Holocaust.
    Abraham died between Oktober and December 1936 and Betje between April and June 1939,their deaths were recorded in Hackney,maybe they moved from Mile End Old Town to Hackney?

Hope anyone can help me to find out more,thanks!

As a start here is data on the Gosschalk surname which appear in The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1871-1880 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger,1999 Publisher Robert Boyd

Mrs L GOSSCHALK of HULL thanks for condolences for her late lamented sister, Mrs SAMUEL, Cale Street Chelsea 22.10. 1880- Mriam SAMUEL sister, Hyam Samuel brother in law; Nathaniel LEVY brother

Mr S ISAACS and Mr and Mrs H SAMUELS and daughter thanks for condolences for their late lamented wife, daughter and siter- Waterford House Fulham and 21 Call Street Chelsea 19.12.1879

HYAM SAMUEL and daughter thanks for condolences for their lamented and beloved wife and mother 21 Cale Street Chelsea 22.10.1880- Miriam Samuel wife, Lizzie ISAACS nee Samuel daughter,Samuel I ISAACS son in law, Nathaniel LEVY brother in law, Mrs L GOSSCHALK sister in law

These are family links to the above:
    Marriage 23.4.1879 at the Guildall Tavern Gresham Street EC -SAMUEL J ISAACS youngest son of the late REV JACOB ISAACS of Sydney, to Lizzie youngest daughter of HYAM SAMUEL of Cale Street Chelsea

Is the surname BEEK or BECK ( possibly adopted/anglicised)?

I will post further.
    Phillip

For other researchers- see Netherlands Genealogies online Trees Index- Abraham GOSSCHALK b 1873 Hull - father Abraham Lazarus Gosschalk mother Dinah PRINCE- spouse Betje BEEK- children Esther, Aaron, Rachel

But note other children recorded in 1881 British Census:
    RG11 4775 7 7 (Crown Copyright TNA)
    9 York Terrace Kingston upon Hull
    Abraham Gosschalk H M 48 Butcher b Holland
    Dinah wife 36 b Lancashire Manchester
    Lionel son 9 b Yorkshire Hull
    Abraham son 8 b Hull
    Alfred son 7 b Hull
    Esther dau 7 b Hull
    Long... ? dau 4 b Hull

Phillip

thewideeyedowl

The National Archives has some naturalisation papers that may relate to this family. https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...e+dates=Refine.

They reference the family to Holland, just as Philip said. Incidentally, Gosschalk is not registered with the Guild of One-Name Studies - it would be useful if it was(!).

Owl

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    As a start here is data on the Gosschalk surname which appear in The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1871-1880 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger,1999 Publisher Robert Boyd

Mrs L GOSSCHALK of HULL thanks for condolences for her late lamented sister, Mrs SAMUEL, Cale Street Chelsea 22.10. 1880- Mriam SAMUEL sister, Hyam Samuel brother in law; Nathaniel LEVY brother

Mr S ISAACS and Mr and Mrs H SAMUELS and daughter thanks for condolences for their late lamented wife, daughter and siter- Waterford House Fulham and 21 Call Street Chelsea 19.12.1879

HYAM SAMUEL and daughter thanks for condolences for their lamented and beloved wife and mother 21 Cale Street Chelsea 22.10.1880- Miriam Samuel wife, Lizzie ISAACS nee Samuel daughter,Samuel I ISAACS son in law, Nathaniel LEVY brother in law, Mrs L GOSSCHALK sister in law

These are family links to the above:
    Marriage 23.4.1879 at the Guildall Tavern Gresham Street EC -SAMUEL J ISAACS youngest son of the late REV JACOB ISAACS of Sydney, to Lizzie youngest daughter of HYAM SAMUEL of Cale Street Chelsea

Is the surname BEEK or BECK ( possibly adopted/anglicised)?

I will post further.
    Phillip
    Dear Philip
    Thanks very much for your contributions, the family name is BEEK and originally comes from Den Helder and Amsterdam,first found family member in my family tree was born in 1725.From my father's side of which we speak all are Jewish.

Dear Philip

Mentioned Abraham with Dinah are Abraham(with Betje)'s parents,this gives me again more insight,all info
    regarding this side of the tree,so Abraham,Dinah and their son Abraham born in Hull 1873 and his
    wife,my cousin Betje Beek is very helpful. Just found out that I have relatives(Gosschalk) in the UK,
    very suprising!

Thanks very much for this link,all info/data mainly regarding Abraham Gosschalk and wife Betje Beek(and kids) is very helpful

See The London Gazette Nov 14 1856

Bankruptcy
    Richard James Winmill ( sued as Richard Windmill) formerly of 1 Devonshire Street Commercial Road East, Butcher next of 26 Paterson Street Stepney both in Middlesex, journeyman Butcher then of 26 Paterson Street aforesaid having a slaughter house at Jubilee Place Stepney in co-partnership with AARON GOSSCHALK as Carcase Butchers and salesmaen trading as Winmill and GOSSCHALK

If this Aaron is 'your' Aaron father of Abraham then this would place him in London circa mid 1850s pre moving to Hull.

See also JewishGen UK Data Base for records on various Gosschalk including the Burial Records for Edward Gosschalk 2 April 1925 age 84 Delhi Street Cemetery HULL; Esther age 79 5 Oct 1928; Esther ahe 73 18 August 1898; Louis Lazarus age 64 Oct 1883 - All buried Delhi Street Cemetery Hull

Noted- Births Birmingham Daily Post Thurs Feb 26 1891
    On the 24 inst at 69 Park Street HULL the wife of Louis L GOSSCHALK of a daughter
    Phillip

Thanks again Philip,this Aaron sounds like Abraham,s father,he was indeed a butcher

This maybe Dinah PRINCE ( aka PRINS) wife of Aaron Lazarus GOSSCHALK

1851 Census
    (Crown Copyright,TNA)
    HO 107 2182 436 23
    Berry Street Liverpool Lancashire
    Wolf SAMUEL H U 26 Small ware and hosier dealer b Lancashire Manchester
    Sophie mother widow 58 b Poland British Subject Deaf
    Kate sister u 26 Housekeeper b Manchester
    Isabelle sister u 22 Hosier Assistant b Manchester
    DINAH PRINCE niece 8 visitor b Manchester

1861 Census( Crown Copyright,TNA) RG9 2701 85 15
    86 Mill Street Toxteth Park Lancashire
    Lazarus ISAACS H M 46 Haberdasher b Prussia??
    Mary wife 43 b London
    DIANA PRINCE niece u 19 b Manchester

Marriage Index- DINAH PRINCE Jan qtr 1871 Lancashire 8b 383-AARON LAZARUS GOSSCHALK

Phillip

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast