Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Soldier Died

Pam
    this is just showing my frustration over this motor accident thing. I did not pick up on the ancestor which is the family search site. but some how understood that the accident was in the same paper as reported him as wounded. That took me hours so not find. the link provided took maybe 3 hours to go through the entire site with no luck. Although we both use English their are differences, I know I have to be careful when speaking with Americans, again we phrase things differently. Use more words.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Clemens View Post
    Pam
    this is just showing my frustration over this motor accident thing. I did not pick up on the ancestor which is the family search site. but some how understood that the accident was in the same paper as reported him as wounded. That took me hours so not find. the link provided took maybe 3 hours to go through the entire site with no luck. Although we both use English their are differences, I know I have to be careful when speaking with Americans, again we phrase things differently. Use more words.
    Wally,
    Having recently returned from visiting relations in Canada I'm very aware that there are language differences. ('Pavement repairs' when all I can see is a road? Pavement in the UK is the same as a path/pathway that pedestrians walk along.)

As for you wanting me to 'use more words', I could ask the same of you.
    That took me hours so not find. the link provided took maybe 3 hours to go through the entire site with no luck.
    Which link? We've provided several. And three hours to go through? As far am I'm aware, all the links given should have taken you direct to a relevant page. e.g. the one for Eastbourne library should have an email address for you contact them.

I'm also confused over
    I did not pick up on the ancestor which is the family search site. but some how understood that the accident was in the same paper as reported him as wounded.
    FamilySearch is the website of the Mormon church, and at no stage has reference been made to it.
    However, earlier in the thread you wrote 'ancestor' when you were referring to Ancestry, so do you mean 'Ancestry' again, Ancestry being a site on which you search for family?
    And I don't quite see how you can confuse a date of February 1915 with a date of November 1918.

So let's start at the beginning, with more words and hopefully less misunderstandings.

You want to trace an injured soldier who was reported as wounded in 'The Scotsman' newspaper dated 3 February 1915, between the time of his wounding and his death on 22 November 1918.
    You believe he died from his wounds, his death certificate saying the cause of death was

(1) Secondary haemourhage

(2) Shrapnel wounds of left thigh and pelvis
    Thomas died in De Walden Court Hospital, which was an auxiliary hospital.
    (De Walden is listed on page 43.)

Peter (post #2) found a reference on Ancestry, in their Soldiers who died in the Great War database, which said that Thomas was involved in a motor accident in Chiddingly and later died in hospital. That reference also notes where Thomas was buried, and that he was buried in the same grave as three other soldiers. (Privates H Conway, H Grey, and J E Grady - all died on different dates.) Peter (post #8) advised that you contact the person who wrote those notes, and you confirmed that you have (post #18).

helachau then googled the cemetery where Thomas is buried (Ocklynge) and found a reference to Thomas' burial and of a motor cycle accident. (That's the link in post #9.) If you scroll down to the posts which have ID 15 and ID 16 written in the top right-hand corner of the box, then you'll find the relevant comments.

To see a photo of the gravestone copy-and-paste
    findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSsr=241&GScid=2218586&GRid=3245114 2&

You've seen the newspaper report of Thomas being wounded, and both Peter and I suggested that you check out local papers for a report of either the motor accident and/or Thomas' death/funeral/burial.

I (post #7) gave you the name of a newspaper, and the one definite (4 December 1918) and one possible (27 November 1918) editions to be checked. I also gave you a link to Eastbourne library who may have copies of the newspaper(s) - scroll down for the email link to contact them.

Meanwhile, in post #17, helachau gave you a further reference (and possibly a more accurate one) as to where the Eastbourne newspapers might be accessed. (When you email, do tell them that you live in Canada and so can't visit in person.)

In the same post (#17) helachau emphasised that so far all we've seen is 'what someone has said'. There is no first-hand report, which is why you must access any newspaper reports.

I also mentioned perhaps accessing the Dublin newspapers as that was where (Donnybrook, a district of Dublin) Thomas' father lived.
    https://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-s...ations-hours-8

Have I successfully explained things a little more clearly? Can you now follow all the links, and see everything we've referred to?
    It's now up to you to follow the links re the newspapers.
    The newspaper reports may give more information as to whether Thomas went back to the Front after being wounded, or whether he was given a 'desk job'. He obviously stayed in the army.

Let us know what you find.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Pam right from the start peter and you have acted like argent tail-gators, never did either of you answer my original question. I am glad to see the backs of you, good luck to both of you,

It seems to me that both Pam and Peter have invested a lot of their own time to try and help you find the information you want, including multiple sources, added to by Helachau. The survival of WW1 records is patchy, and I'm surprised at the amount of information they could find.
    They have not, as you asked, "copy and pasted" material from other sites - that infringes copyright and also goes against our own Acceptable Use Policy.

Now that you have decided to resort to name-calling, I have no alternative than to close this thread.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123