Default The Hague Roll 1592

Kia ora
    I have turned up a reference to Duncane arms in this publication - I am wondering if there are any other names I am researching in this book

Does any one have access to this book or know if it is available on-line?

Thanking you in anticipation
    daryl

On-line? Check the Internet Archive or Google Books. There's an amazing amount available, whole libraries have been scanned. Not a good idea for anyone with a slow link as the files can be enormous.

World Cat should tell you whether there's a hard copy available, and where. It links to Google Books, on my PC, usually in the column on the left of the screen.

Do remember that Duncan is a VERY common name in Scotland. You might find my comments at the top of the Scottish General forum useful.
    If your interest in Duncan is general, take a look at Clan Donnachaidh web pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    On-line? Check the Internet Archive or Google Books. There's an amazing amount available, whole libraries have been scanned. Not a good idea for anyone with a slow link as the files can be enormous.

World Cat should tell you whether there's a hard copy available, and where. It links to Google Books, on my PC, usually in the column on the left of the screen.

Do remember that Duncan is a VERY common name in Scotland. You might find my comments at the top of the Scottish General forum useful.
    If your interest in Duncan is general, take a look at Clan Donnachaidh web pages.
    Thanks for your suggestions Lesley. Internet archives - I will try there. Google Books didn't throw up any online items but I shal try varying the search criteria.
    I have my Duncans nailed back to c 1550 - I am fortunate that my ancestors are Duncans of Seasyde and Duncans of Lundie with the Camperdown branch added on as cousins. I am trying to sort out the Duncane arms mentioned in the Hague Roll as
    "Argent, a chevron Sable between two stars Gules and a hunting-horn Sable, stringed Gules. 1592" whereas my William Duncan of Seasyde has "Gules, a chevron Or between two cinquefoils in chief and a hunting-horn in base Argent garnished Azure".

I am struck by the similarity in the formal description of these two.
    thanks
    daryl

Kiltpin

Hello Daryl,

John Duncan of Sketraw sends his regards.

Regards

Kiltpin

Arms in Scotland are a personal matter belonging to individuals and arbitrated by Lyon King at Arms in Edinburgh.
    His office might be able to help with historical research. They have been known to take people to court for using arms they were not entitled to!