A fountain of knowledge

Default WWI Mapping tool launched on FWR TODAY

ORBATS Launched on FWR today.

Launch of WW1 Troop Movements
    To commemorate those lost on the Somme

· New ‘moving' interactive and informative map from Forces War Records
    · Audio-visual function – see battle manoeuvres as they happened - step-by step, listen to what happened in each location
    · www.forces-war-records.co.uk/maps/search
    · Watch the DEMO
    · A NEW genealogy tool - people researching their family will be able to find out so much more information about their ancestor’s unit manoeuvres during battle, see where they moved to and listen to what happened at each location.
    · Informative historical resource - for associations, education organisations and historians.
    · FREE access from 30th June to 3rd July. Details here: Www. Forces-war-records.co.uk/ww1-troop-movements

ORBATS are the official 'ORders of BATtles -the plan to which the army was formed to fight a war to put it simply.

This is a wonderful tool to aid understanding of where individual battalions etc went and the battles they were involved in.

It's FREE to use from Today Until Sunday 3rd July.

Please let us know how you get on with it, it's currently in 'Beta' (i.e. test mode) so we expect to see a few nuances that will need ironing out.

Kiltpin

Quote Originally Posted by timbo58 View Post
    Please let us know how you get on with it, it's currently in 'Beta' (i.e. test mode) so we expect to see a few nuances that will need ironing out.
    I am sure we have all noted the "Anglican" Regiment, but the Primitive Methodists and the Independent Wesleyans seen to be thin on the ground ...

Maybe it is just me, but I cannot find the 8th Battalion, East Yorkshire Regiment. My wife's relative - Cecil Edgar Leonard Garrod was a private in the Regiment (21729) and was killed on the 14th July 1916 in an attack between Longueval and Bazentin-le-Grand. He is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial, but I cannot find the Regiment on this mapping tool.

Is it just me?

Regards

Kiltpin

Dominic - FWR

Hi Kiltpin,
    I did a search from you, and you're absolutely right its difficult finding the maps through the homepage, but if you go direct to your ancestors record the maps are there too.

Please see:
    https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk...hire-regiment/

Kiltpin

Thanks, Dominic. I'll go that way round.

Regards

Kiltpin