mrmaricopa

Default Where can I find records of ships lost @ sea?

My Greatgrandfather,Charles Simmonds from Bristol,was rumored to be on a ship as a carpenter that was lost with all hands between 1901 and 1904?. The items I have looked @ have not helped, no lists found.

Reputation beyond repute

Best to exhaust basic family history sources first. Do you have him and his family in the 1901 census for example? And his family in 1911?

Starting to feel at home

"Lloyd's List" have reported missing/lost vessels for well over a couple of hundred years but would not have listed crew's names. Indexes covering 1838 to 1927 are on microfilm at the Guildhall Library in London. It is a daily paper, so searching four years' worth would be quite a job and only give you the names of vessels lost - but it might be a start.

Reputation beyond repute

At this stage he doesn't need "records of ships lost at sea" because he doesn't know what vessel he's looking for. I suggest he substantiates the rumour by some basic research. If he provides identity details including census references people will have a look.

mrmaricopa

I've had no luck with any of the census before 1911.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by mrmaricopa View Post
    I've had no luck with any of the census before 1911.
    If you'd like people to try to help you, you could do as Peter suggested and give the details that you know - the 1911 census would be a start