Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Bates/England Marriage

Am researching Charles William (or WC) Bates and Ellen England who married in Halifax district June qtr 1901 Is anyone able to look up who their respective parents were, as I Thank you in antication
    Last edited by JandL; 23-06-2016 at 12:19 AM. Reason: silly me

The marriage certificate doesn't appear to be on Ancestry's "west Yorkshire Marriages" this suggests the couple married in the Register Office, in which case the only way to know their parents for sure is to buy the certificate.

There is this 1911 census which could be them and if so gives you their ages and birth places.

Hazlehead Penistone Sheffield [Thurlstone Parish] RG14; Piece: 27651
    W Charles Bates 36, commercial traveller, Deepcar
    Ellen Bates 32, Fulstone, married 10yrs, 8 children, 7 living.
    Donald Bates 9, Hepworth
    Clarice Bates 7, Hepworth
    Kathleen Bates 3, Penistone
    Ivie Bates 2, Penistone
    Gerald Bates 1, Penistone
    Florence Bates 6/12, Penistone
    Alma

1901, Haley Hill, Northowram, Halifax. RG13; Piece: 4137; Folio: 161; Page: 12
    Andrew England 47, stockinette machine manager, New Mill
    Annis England 48, Thurlstone
    Ellen England 22, New Mill, (Fulstone is a part of New Mill)
    Edith England 20, New Mill
    Clara England 18, New Mill
    Sarah England 14, New Mill
    Emily England 12, New Mill
    John England 9, New Mill
    James William England 7, New Mill
    Alma

JandL, I can't definitely pin down William Charles Bates in the census records. If another member here doesn't give it a go, I'll try again tomorrow.
    Alma

Loves to help with queries

Thank you ever so much Alma. I agree Andrew and Annis appear to be parents of Ellen (whose line I am trying to follow for an elderly friend). Annis may be the daughter of a John Turner. I found a birth on Freebdm 1853 for an Annis Turner, and 1854 for an Andrew England. Then stumped again. Unfortunately my current subs to Ancestry has expired, so it is a wee bit difficult. William Charles Bates remains elusive. However, do appreciate your help very much.

Quote Originally Posted by JandL View Post
    Thank you ever so much Alma. I agree Andrew and Annis appear to be parents of Ellen (whose line I am trying to follow for an elderly friend). Annis may be the daughter of a John Turner. I found a birth on Freebdm 1853 for an Annis Turner, and 1854 for an Andrew England. Then stumped again. Unfortunately my current subs to Ancestry has expired, so it is a wee bit difficult. William Charles Bates remains elusive. However, do appreciate your help very much.
    My pillow is calling me, but I'll look further into it tomorrow. In the meantime I'm sure you'll get help from other members. Good luck
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by JandL View Post
    That marriage is online, I'll give some concise info.

Jul 10th Christ Church, New Mill.
    Andrew England 21, stoker, Jackson Bridge, father John a miner
    Annis Turner, 21, (abode looks like Hullocks???) father James a farmer
    Witnesses - faint writing both England's, one definitely Martha, the other not sure, could be James.
    OK, bedtime for me.
    Alma

To help with Annis' parents and siblings

1871, Hullock, Fulstone New Mill. RG10; Piece: 4351; Folio: 25; Page: 14;
    James Tumer 45, farmer, Fulston
    Sarah Tumer 40, Hepworth
    Mary Tumer 20, Hepworth
    Annis Tumer 18, Thurlstone
    Sarah A Tumer 16, Thurlstone
    Jim Tumer 12, Thurlstone
    Sam Tumer 10, Thurlstone
    John Tumer 8, Hepworth
    Emma Tumer 6, Hepworth
    Allen Tumer 2, Fulstone
    Richard Haigh 15, nephew, Hepworh
    Alma

Two James Turners married Sarah's in 1849 at Kirkburton All Hallows which was the parish church for Hepworth and Fulstone etc.
    The possible brides are Sarah Hinchliffe and Sarah HAIGH (a Richard Haigh nephew is with them in 1871, so perhaps she's the bride?)

Haigh/Turner (a miner) his father is James a labourer
    Hinchliffe/Turner (a mason) father John a mason
    Alma

Turner's are a nightmare to sort out in the Huddersfield district, there's so many of them, I have a direct line of Turner's in the area and it took me ages to work out.
    Alma

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast