Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Some of John Charles and Ellen Maria Bates children's baptisms
    Birstall Yorkshire St Peter, all March 6th 1857
    Charlotte Jemima born Dec 29 1847 at Gornall Staffs, now of Spring Wood Holmfirth
    William Hill born Feb 8 1851 at Gornall Staffs, now of Spring Wood Holmfirth
    Ellen Maria born Jun 22 1856 at Elland Halifax, now of Spring Wood Holmfirth

Interestingly a John and Susannah Jukes baptised children same day and church and their children were also born Gornall, perhaps a relative, or close friend.
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by JandL View Post
    Is Nuneaton far away from all the other areas JC Bates lived? There is an 80 yr old JCB dying there in 1905? Are you not sleeping today?
    It is quite a way but this family do seem to move about a lot. However be cautious, look for other evidence i.e did one of his children live in the Nuneaton area, also look at John Bates (without the Charles) middle names weren't always entered on certificates.
    Alma

Loves to help with queries

The baptism of several children at once ties in with my friend's (who is a spritely 87 yrs) recollection that multiple baptisms took place with whichever passing clergy came, as there was no resident clergy in the area. Also I will do as you say and check out John Bates death rather that JCB. Thanks for reminding me not to jump to conclusions!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I see that you were looking for information on W C Bates. My grandfather was his brother, Leonard Bates and grandmother was Edith England, Ellen's sister. Two
    brothers married two sisters. Did you find the information you needed?

Thanks, yes I have completed research now. Appreciate interest shown.

Hi JandL

I have enjoyed reading about your research into the Bates family history, and will find some of it useful in my own research.

John Charles Bates was my Great, Great, Great Grandfather, Daniel Bates and Emily Mincher Wood my Great Great Grandparents, and Alfred Bates and Mary Hewitt my great grandparents.

I lived most of my youth around the Bedworth and Nuneaton area. As fate would have it, I now live just one mile away from where Lucy Wood and her daughter Emily Mincher Wood ran an inn called the Three Tuns in Tipton, and this was also the first meeting place for the Bates and Wood families.

Before my Nan passed away, she wrote down some family history, and mentioned Emily living in an inn in Tipton, and that Daniel would see her on a swing in the garden, and eventually pluck up the courage and ask if he could push her (And I am very glad that he did!)

Please let me know if you would like to know anything else, and I'll PM you some more.

I hope you and your friend are well, and kind regards from Tipton!

Gordon

Hello Gordon, thanks for your interest. If I understand correctly, JC Bates son, Daniel, and Lucy's daughter, Emily, marry. So stepfather becomes fatherinlaw etc. Interesting. The only documentation I have about JC are the online census, and I note Daniel was still living with him aged 27 in 1881. I was unable to research further back than JC Bates. Best wishes with your research.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234