ddraigcelt

Default GREAT GRANDFATHER WAR RECORDS

Hi All,
    This is my first post on this site so i'm a bit green so to speak. I'm currently researching my family tree, but specifically my Great Grand Father Joseph Parker. Joseph was born in 1881 in Aberdare , South Wales. All we know about his military history is from my father. He served in South Africa in the 1899 - 1902 so he would have been 18 in 1899. He thinks he served somewhere near Rorke's Drift but we're unsure. I remember a leather belt which used to be his from his uniform but that's about it. When I search on this site the information is very basic, if I don't know his army number or the unit in which he served it's very hard to pinpoint him to the records shown. Is there any way to find out more purely on his age and where he is from, any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
    Many Regards David

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, David. We have some very helpful experts, so hopefully they'll be able to point you in the right direction.
    Considering his age, he should surely (unless medically unfit) have served in WW1 as well? I don't suppose that the family has his medals? They'll have his service number around the edge... Unless a name is very rare, any extra crumbs of information can help someone stand out from the crowd!

Reputation beyond repute

Was he a regular?

Did he marry or father children during his military service? If so make sure you have the relevant birth or marriage certificates.

Quote Originally Posted by ddraigcelt View Post
    Hi All,
    This is my first post on this site so i'm a bit green so to speak. When I search on this site the information is very basic, if I don't know his army number or the unit in which he served it's very hard to pinpoint him to the records shown.
    Many Regards David
    Hello David
    it does sound as if you have landed back on the British-Genealogy forums after searching on Forces War Records so reading This will explain.
    Different sites are licensed to hold different records so Findmypast and ancestry are the ones who hold WW1 service records and FMP has earlier records but they are very basic.
    Unfortunately 60% + of WW1 records were destroyed by bombing/fire in WW11 so it is a very lucky person who finds their ancestors records have survived.

As Lesley and Peter have said, more details will possibly help sort your great grandfather out from the crowd.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

ddraigcelt

Hi All,
    Thank you for your swift replies. As far as I know my G G Grandfather didn't serve in WW1 but it might be worth having a look on 'Forces War Records'. With regards to Peter Goodey's question about marriage and children during service, he was married in 1904 and had his first child in 1906 so he was back home by then. All we know was that he had served in the 1899 - 1902 Boer War. Would he have served in a particular unit depending on where he lived (and signed up) ? Any help would be very grateful, Regards, David