Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SALMON Family

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Catherine is actually Caroline Louisa,baptised as Caroline,BMD entry is Caroline Louisa.
    More searching.

janbooth

Are you sure, Eric? The only Caroline Louisa SALMON I can find was baptised in Fairford, Gloucestershire (reg district Cirencester) on 13 February 1848, daughter of William & Mary Ann SALMON, Innkeeper of Fairford. She married a William GEARING at Fairford on 19 April 1870 and her father is shown as William SALMON, Dealer.

Ah, apologies, I have just found the baptismal transcription on Ancestry of Caroline daughter of John & Elizabeth at St Marks, New Swindon on 21 April 1848 but there does not appear to be a corresponding birth registration in the correct reg district which should be Highworth. Having said that, I cannot find an appropriate birth registration for her at all! The 1851 census record for John & Elizabeth SALMON at East Dereham (HO107/1825, folio 121, page 1) shows her as daughter Cate born c1849 at Swindon. The family are living at Hills Cottages, Yaxham Road. I wonder if the Ancestry record is a mistranscription but then Family Search has the same transcription. Either way, I cannot find any trace of her after the 1851/61 census records which suggest she either died, married or emigrated. However, like you, I cannot find any trace of the family after the 1861 census record - at the moment. Will keep looking though.

Janet

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Janet,
    This fool jumped in with both feet rather than dipping a toe in first!!Parts of Cirencester are in Wiltshire and i fell for it,but did not check baptism.
    Thanks for your help,
    Eric

janbooth

Been there, done that & got the t-shirt! Still haven't found Caroline/Catherine after the 1861 census though. However, given that John SALMON snr was a Locomotive Engine Driver, could an article in the Dover Express dated 6 June 1861 be relevant at all. This gives a report on the inquest of a John SALMON the driver of a train involved in an accident at Streatham on the Brighton railway. There were other fatalities in the accident as well as himself.

Janet

janbooth

Bit more information from other articles regarding the accident, which sounds horrendous. John SALMON died as a result of the burns and scalds he received in the accident. His age was given as 38 which makes him about the correct age to be your John but in none of the articles I have found so far does it give any personal information about him. One article does mention his wife, but not by name.

Janet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12