Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Shipley Gang of Sussex around 1815

Hi All

So I have just discovered that I am a descendant of a couple of members of the Shipley Gang of Sussex around 1815-16,17. James Nye snr and James Nye Jnr were tried and convicted and transported 1818 to NSW Australia.
    If anyone has any info or knows where I can get further information about these terrors please share.

Also not too worried about the black sheep because I have more then what I thought possible and I think it makes us more interesting

Cheers Toni

Brick wall demolition expert!

The best place to look for more information is old newspapers. Findmypast has some and you can find a report of their trial at the Sussex Lent Assizes in the Morning Advertiser 20 March 1818.

However don't expect a lot of detail because in those days trials lasted 5 minutes. In essence they all pleaded guilty after a three year reign of crime and seem to have got mercy on the basis that they were led astray (for 3 years?) by old time criminal Daniel Rapley who hung himself to avoid capture.

I typed Shipley Gang of Sussex around 1815 in to a search engine and got quite a few hits including this one from Friday 13 June 2003
    https://www.wscountytimes.co.uk/news/...union-1-829346

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi toni
    My lots of g's grandfather is James nye of the Shipley gang who was transported to Australia

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Here are a few more names from my wife’s fami

We actually found the cemetery where James Nye snr is buried and we’e going to tryand find his grave this week

Quote Originally Posted by Tonireay View Post
    Hi All

So I have just discovered that I am a descendant of a couple of members of the Shipley Gang of Sussex around 1815-16,17. James Nye snr and James Nye Jnr were tried and convicted and transported 1818 to NSW Australia.
    If anyone has any info or knows where I can get further information about these terrors please share.

Also not too worried about the black sheep because I have more then what I thought possible and I think it makes us more interesting

Cheers Toni

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Tonireay View Post
    Hi All

Cheers Toni
    Hello Toni

Like you I have just discovered this connection. I live in Broken Hill NSW. If you have any other details please don’t hesitate to share with me.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum Darriea. We haven't seen Toni since 2016, I'm afraid. If she's still using the email address registered with us, she should get a notification of your message.

In the mean time, why don't you settle in and tell us about your research?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello everyone,

I too am a descendant of James Nye Snr and James Nye from the Shipley Gang

Famous for offering help & advice

as stated above newspapers of 20 March 1818 carry a very short account of their apprehension and list the members

James Evans, James Jupp, Philip Jupp, Henry Jupp, James Nye snr., James Nye jnr., Thomas Philpot

all pleaded guilty to ten indictments "for various burglaries and felonies". "terror of the county for the last three years".

as mentioned above Daniel Rapley the leader.

apparently departed England 19 July 1818 arrived NSW 31 December with over 200 other convicts on the ship 'General Stewart'

https://convictrecords.com.au/ships/...l-stewart/1818

Famous for offering help & advice

having now googled Shipley gang I see there is loads of information on the internet about them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast