Default Francis Arundel Bell, 1906

Grandfather's WW1 draft record (for the US - he moved) claims that he was a private in a 'territorial regiment' (doesn't specify which) in 1906. I can't find his record on this site. He was a Liverpudlian who lived in that general area until he moved to the Colonies. Are territorials different?

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums

As you came to us from Forces War records reading This will tell you a little about us and what we do.
    Not all sites have all records as it depends who are licensed to hold which records.

Wikipedia says
    "The Territorial Force (TF) was the volunteer reserve component of the British Army in existence from 1908 until 1920, It was renamed the Territorial Army, which today is known as the Army Reserve. The government legislation for its creation was brought in by the Secretary of State for War at the time, Richard Burdon Haldane, which combined and re-organised the old Volunteer Army with the Yeomanry.
    The TF was formed on 1 April 1908.

The TF was envisaged as a home defence force for service during wartime; units were liable to serve anywhere within the United Kingdom, but could not be compelled to serve outside the country. But, any member or unit of the force could volunteer to be liable for overseas service - in 1910, when asked to nominate for Imperial Service overseas in the event of mobilisation, less than 10% of the Territorial Force chose to do so. Individual members could also choose to be liable to be called up for service within the United Kingdom even in situations when the force as a whole was not embodied"

I note that your grandfather was born in 1887 which may help in the search.
    His draft registration card was signed on 6May 1917 and it says he was a member of a TF for 5 years but no dates given so could be anytime between 1901 and 1917. When did he go to the US?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

janbooth

Ancestry have a Massachusetts Passenger & Crew List record dated 20 July 1912 for a Francis Arundell BELL, aged 25, Cotton Buyer, last permanent residence shown as Liverpool, mother Mrs Ellen M W BELL, Crossley Schools, Halifax, Yorkshire, final destination Texas who embarked from Liverpool aboard the SS Canadian - is this your chap? Looking at his US Draft record, this would appear to be the correct Francis Arundel BELL.

Trying to pin down a record for him when he was in the TA, I can find him in the 1891 census of Wavertree (RG12/3002, folio 84, page 14) living at 62 Bagot Street with father Samuel, mother Ellen and various siblings. 1901 census still living in Wavertree with parents and siblings at 3 Hunter's Lane. Unfortunately, I cannot find any of the family in the 1911 census - so far, nor can I find any Service record for him other than his US Draft card - so far - but will keep looking.

Janet

A Francis Arundel Bell crossed the Atlantic to USA on a couple of occasions in the 1930s - occupation Cotton Shipper. Address in England was Liverpool

There's a Frank A Bell on the 1920 USA Census, born England, age 32, year of immigration 1907. Occupation Cotton Exporter.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Reputation beyond repute

See the research guide

"Comprehensive collections of records relating to the Territorial Army and its predecessors have not survived. Therefore it might be difficult to trace a particular person.
    Many records are in local archives."

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post

His draft registration card was signed on 6May 1917 and it says he was a member of a TF for 5 years but no dates given so could be anytime between 1901 and 1917. When did he go to the US?
    Christina
    The 5 years of service must be a mistake. Note that on that draft record, for 'tall, medium, or short', he wrote 'yes'. He sailed to Texas from Swansea on the Greystoke Castle, leaving 1908 August 12, set up in business quickly. His Father had died 1902 December 31 and he was the cadet; his brother Hugh was destined to inherit whatever. The will page says 1734 pounds 6s 4d - was that a lot? How do I insert a sterling symbol?

I was visiting one of his daughters, my aunt, some 50 years ago. She showed me a diary he had kept for 1906, which included regimental orders published in a local paper. Amusingly the back side of one, which was longer than the page and had been folded over, included a short item about calling on the football association to ban the American form of the game because it was too violent.

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Ancestry have a Massachusetts Passenger & Crew List record dated 20 July 1912 for a Francis Arundell BELL, aged 25, Cotton Buyer, last permanent residence shown as Liverpool, mother Mrs Ellen M W BELL, Crossley Schools, Halifax, Yorkshire, final destination Texas who embarked from Liverpool aboard the SS Canadian - is this your chap? Looking at his US Draft record, this would appear to be the correct Francis Arundel BELL.

Trying to pin down a record for him when he was in the TA, I can find him in the 1891 census of Wavertree (RG12/3002, folio 84, page 14) living at 62 Bagot Street with father Samuel, mother Ellen and various siblings. 1901 census still living in Wavertree with parents and siblings at 3 Hunter's Lane. Unfortunately, I cannot find any of the family in the 1911 census - so far, nor can I find any Service record for him other than his US Draft card - so far - but will keep looking.

Janet
    Thanks. That's him. Ship records show a few trips 1908-1935.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    A Francis Arundel Bell crossed the Atlantic to USA on a couple of occasions in the 1930s - occupation Cotton Shipper. Address in England was Liverpool

There's a Frank A Bell on the 1920 USA Census, born England, age 32, year of immigration 1907. Occupation Cotton Exporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    See the research guide

"Comprehensive collections of records relating to the Territorial Army and its predecessors have not survived. Therefore it might be difficult to trace a particular person.
    Many records are in local archives."
    Thanks.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

My grandfather, Francis Arundel Bell from Liverpool, born 5/27/1887, American citizenship 5/21/1957, was a cotton exporter in the Dallas/Corpus Christi area of Texas. I don’t know of any information on his military service, but if you are looking for other information there’s a slight chance I might be able to help.

Frank Arundel Bell (and a never used III)