Default John Mumbray 564780

My late father, John Mumbray, was mentioned in despatches during WWII but the London Gazette listing of June 1944 offers no further information. Is there any way that we can find out what action by him resulted in his MiD? He was a modest man and would never discuss it with his daughters, the only slight clue he gave was a mention to his grandson of his time in Yalta (Conference?)

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Do you have your father's service records? There might be a clue in them about why he was mentioned in dispatches.

I stand to be corrected on this, but I think you need to know where he might have been at that particular time - for which you need his service records - and then you would need to read any ops/war diaries (for want of a better word) which I think are held at The National Archives at Kew.

Details of how to apply for WW2 service records can be found here. You will need to send thirty pounds and a copy of his death certificate.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Reputation beyond repute

As advised above, get his service record.

When you find out more about his record you could try WO373

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...tails/r/C14577

Reputation beyond repute

When you find out more about his record you could try WO373
    Apologies. Ignore that. WO 373 relates to the army. For RAF, National Archives suggests that you might find something in AIR 2.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...etails/r/C2057