Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Sidonia Buzzo born St Hilary

Hi I'm Heidi
    I'm currently researching one of my Cornish lines and I'm wondering if this is the right place to ask for some assistance in doing so as there isn't much to be found online on my ancestor.
    So I'm wondering if anyone here is in Cornwall (St Hilary area) that could look at some "offline records "??.

My ancestor

Sidonia Buzzo b illigitimately 23-2-1859 st Hilary, Penzance, Cornwall

Birth certificate says mother Anne Buzzo no father given.Anne single.resuding at Tregurtha Downs!.

Trying to determine which Anne Buzzo maybe the mother.

At the moment I have a suspicion that it "maybe " a 15 yr old Anne Buzzo in Penzance Union workhouse mentioned on find my past 1851 census as a pauper scholar!.

Sidonia is my great great grandmother...now for what is known ....
    Sidonia came to Adelaide, South Australia , Australia aboard the "Oaklands " from Plymouth port in 1876.government assisted.aged 19. Domestic servant.
    She married into the Wheare family. She had 3 boys.one survived. She died in 1882.

Is there anyway I can find out if this "Anne" in the workhouse is my gg gmas mother?.

Sidonias Australian marriage certificate stated father as Unknown John.

Buzzo is Sidonia & Anne maiden name.

This is all we know.

Thankyou in advance for any assistance!.

Regards
    Hoverton72

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.

Was Sidonia a twin? I see on the FreeBMD index that there were two Buzzo children registered in Penzance in the first quarter of 1859 - Sidonia and Lidonia.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.

Was Sidonia a twin? I see on the FreeBMD index that there were two Buzzo children registered in Penzance in the first quarter of 1859 - Sidonia and Lidonia.
    Beware the perils of hand-written ledgers and mistranscription, Lesley. There's only one entry. One of the FreeBMD transcribers has misread the S as an L. I've advised FreeBMD of the error.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Dundee10

The index is hand written and they have indexed it twice as the first letter is ambiguous. If you have a look at the page it does match the other 'S' words.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee10 View Post
    The index is hand written and they have indexed it twice as the first letter is ambiguous. If you have a look at the page it does match the other 'S' words.
    Sorry, but in this instance the S is not ambiguous. The top cross-stroke of the F for Frederick in the next name has been mistaken for a bottom cross line of an L.
    This is not a criticism of the transcriber - I've made my fair shares of errors when transcribing - just a statement of fact.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Ho hum, I'll just turn up my collar and retire to the Scottish records where I belong.....

Hello and welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.

I have moved your post to the Cornwall forum as you are asking for research help. Its title is now Sidonia Buzzo born St Hillary.

This is Sidonia's baptism record. With her mother as Annie and an alternative spelling of Sidonia.

Sedonia Buzzo
    Born 23 Feb 1859
    Baptised 25 Apr 1859 at Saint Hilary,Cornwall,England
    Mother - Annie Buzzo
    FHL Film 0226212

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

janbooth

Could this perhaps be a candidate for your Annie BUZZO/BUZZA in the 1861 census of Marazion (RG9/1591, folio 6, page 5) living in the household of Charlot COLLOWAY:

Anna BUZZA Lodger Un 23 Labourer Cornwall St Hilary

According to Google, Tregurtha Downs is part of Marazion. Ancestry have mistranscribed Anna's surname as BRIDGET. However, I can find no trace of Sedonia at all after her birth registration/baptismal record - at the moment. Nor can I find a baptism for Anna BUZZA c1838 in the St Hilary area. Will keep looking though.

Janet

What would likely forename abbreviations for Sedonia be?

I can imagine that the child might want to use something else....

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Sorry for delayed reply just seen this 8/6/2016.

I do not have much information before she came to
    She came to Australia, I believe that, that was a double entry of the same person as Sidonia was born 23/2/1959 st Hilary Penzance Cornwall. But I do not know anything about her family in regards to parents or siblings except mother bring Anne Buzzo residing Tregurtha Downs in the year of her birth & that her father was a Unknown John Unknown surname. All I know, I'm sorry. There has been some research in some of our Buzzo /Buzza lines but no one seems to know of which family in Cornwall she belongs,it was first thought she may if belonged to be of the two Richard Buzzo/Buzza (Hester Stephens /Ann Thomas ) but some family in uk say no.. There is ?s about a 15yr old Anne in a union workhouse in Penzance in 1851 but unless I can trace a Sidonia Buzzo as a child to a Anne Buzzo then I have no da of telling what family they belong to.

Thankyou!.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast