Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Smile Barton/McLuckie ancestors in Scotland

Hi everyone,

My name is Michelle and I am from Alberta, Canada.
    I have been working on my family history for about a month now.
    Wow, it can be very time consuming... and stressful, and rewarding.

I am at a roadblock when it comes to my 3rd great grandfather (James Barton).
    From what I can find on ancestry.ca on the Scotland census is: birth: British Subject, America
    I can't figure out what British Subject, America means.

Census after marriage to Martha McLuckie (they show him as James Burton on marriage) they live in Scotland.

I found an 1889 death listing showing parents to a James Barton as John Barton (soldier) deceased and Martha (Dunlop) deceased, my thought is, this may not be is actual birth mother, but I could be wrong, as I cannot find anything.

If you have any assistance to offer, I would very much appreciate it.
    Thank you!

Brick wall demolition expert!

First of all welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by MBarton View Post
    on the Scotland census is: birth: British Subject, America
    I can't figure out what British Subject, America means.
    As a guess I think it means British Subject born in America.

However, if you give us the census references, or at least a little more information such as which census, how old etc., we can have a look and see what can be found.

As he is Scottish, then you will probably have to, if you haven't already, sign up to Scotland's People, which is the only internet site that has Scottish BMDs.
    https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/?u...FeJ-2wodCaUCsA

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Michelle

First of all I have moved your post from the Introduce Yourself forum to the General Scottish Family History as it is a research project for sure.

It doesn't take long to catch the genealogy bug does it? You are now with a group of like minded people who 'get' the addictive nature of genealogy.

Megan has started you on your way by asking for more details and pointing you to ScotlandsPeople so the search begins.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you,

First, I have been to Scotland's people and have spent a few dollars on trying to find info. Unfortunately, not much luck. I will give it a try again.

Scotland Select Marriages 1561 - 1910
    James Burton/Margaret McLuckie
    April 1851

Scotland Census
    James Barton Birth each one states different place and date
    1861 - British Subject America abt 1826)
    1871 (F), America abt 1821
    1881 America, US abt 1816
    Margaret Barton (McLuckie) Birth abt 1820 Merryster, Lanarkshire)
    Death notice I found for 1889 - says James Barton was 58

I have no other info on siblings.
    Thank you again.

Hi
    The marriage of Margaret McLuckie to James Burton is on ScotlandsPeople in the Pre 1855 Banns & Marriages record set. By messing about with the dates, months and years on the basic search page I found they married on 1 April 1851.This is what ScotlandsPeople has to say about the information that may be on the record

"Do not expect too much from OPR banns & marriages records. The amount of information recorded can be variable and most entries contain very little detail.
    At best - date(s) of the proclamation of intended marriage and/or date of marriage, names of bride and groom and their parish of residence, sometimes the occupation of the groom and occasionally the name of the bride's father.
    At worst - the names of the bride and groom recorded along with the fee paid in caution.

Christina

ps. I have changed the title of this thread to "Barton/McLuckie ancestors in Scotland" If you prefer something else just say and it can be changed - again.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

You're unlucky in that marriage certificates started in 1855! There's a message among the stickies at the top of this forum about ways to find information from the Church registers HERE.

While the info in the church register was at the whim of the Minister, they usually specified which parish the bride & groom belonged to. It would be worth noting this as it would tell us where James was living before he married.

Remember that the entries on death certificates are only as good as the knowledge of the people giving the information, and the chance of an error gets bigger with every generation away from the deceased. Who actually registered James' death in 1889?

James is beginning to annoy me - since he married on 1 April in Lanarkshire and the census was taken on the night of 30/31 March, you'd expect him to be in Scotland for it... I can't find any James B?rt?n not married and not born in the UK or Ireland..

Interestingly, Anc shows a George Barton b. abt 1827, United States British Subject lodging in Glasgow. I wonder if he's a relative?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you ladies for your assistance, it is very much appreciated.

Death records, I had even wondered if Martha Dunlop was his birth mother. I had seen a few listings in England for John and a christening for James, no mother named.

His son William Chapelhall Holytown was present he died Bowhousebraes Shotts and registrar looks like Alix Paterson, Shotts.

The register I found was very vague for the marriage. Names and monetary amounts.

James is annoying me also... maybe he was in the military? I know I can't find much for him. My thought maybe his father was listed as a solider and maybe his mother was in the US and something happened to her? Without info on James I cannot find anything on his father John.

I did come across a page on ancestry that said John was his father and Brother George was born in 1845... makes no sense, but you never know. The rest of their tree didn't match mine too a tee.

Thank you again, I will look at the links.

From memory, the George that I found on the census was born 1827..
    If you still have the marriage entry, have another look at it. The wording is quite important - could it the banns rather than the marriage?
    I also wonder whether it's worth checking the north of England - Lanark is a Border county, and James could have spent census night in an English Border town and still managed to get to the Church on time...

On his death cert, was he "husband of" or "widow of"?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I have attached it here. Shows the names and monetary amounts.
    James BURTON not Barton

Death certificate says married to Margaret McLuckie (I found her name as a witness to a family marriage in 1915).

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    is beginning to annoy me - since he married on 1 April in Lanarkshire and the census was taken on the night of 30/31 March, you'd expect him to be in Scotland for it... I can't find any James B?rt?n not married and not born in the UK or Ireland..
    The Scotland Censuses show him and Margaret with their children as John Barton. They also have a James (1852) and William (1854) as his children. However, I cannot find birth records for them with James Barton and Margaret as Mother, only the other children. It was clearly spelled as Burton on the marriage bann.
    So frustrating, and I wrote to a few people on Ancestry that have private accounts, but no response.