wendyar

Default Southend On Sea, St John the Baptist.

Wondering if anyone has access to the Essex Records Office parish records? I have just located the deaths of two ancestors who both died in 1881. John Samuel Newson BUDD and spouse, Louisa BUDD who was my 2 x great aunt. Essex Memorial inscriptions Transcriptions indicate: Denomination Anglican; Church St John the Baptist: Place Southend On Sea, Essex. Yet to obtain their death certificates, I have their dates of death from a newspaper memorial; Samuel d. 30 March, 1881 and Louisa d. 2 April, 1881.

I have subscriptions to FMP, Ancestry.com, MyHeritage and belong to FamilySearch. I have found some information but I am not sure if the above means that they were actually buried in the churchyard of St John the Baptist. I have had a look at the parish registers on the Essex Archives Online and registered there but now see that the registers can only be viewed with the outlay of yet another subscription. Great if I can find the record in the first 24 hours of a one day subscription but it could take weeks to locate one page. Very frustrating when many parish records can be found free of charge.

Also emailed the church but no reply.

In Australia here and am spoiled with our BDM's which usually contain a wealth of information with death certificates showing the Place of Burial.

I would appreciate any assistance - all pockets have bottoms!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The Essex Memorial inscriptions were compiled by the Essex Society for Family History, so I think you can guarantee that John and Louisa are buried at St John the Baptist's, Southend on Sea.

The society have a very reasonable research scheme whereby you can buy details of a surname in the Memorial Inscriptions for £2 (as far as I know you'll get all the references for the surname, wherever they're buried in Essex).
    Once you know the place and plot number(s) for an additional £2 per plot number they will also provide you with the transcription of the memorial inscription - something you will not get with the entry in the parish register. https://www.
    esfh.org.uk/products/Search-the-Monumental-Inscriptions-Index.html

Cheaper than an Essex record office one-day sub, and with more worthwhile information.
    Only you can decide how vital it is that you have a copy of the burial entry from the PR, and therefore whether it's worth spending extra money on a ERO one-day sub.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

wendyar

Thank you for your prompt reply,

I have had a scout around the Essex Society for Family History site and emailed them for extra clarity. What I already have is from Find My Past and called "Essex Memorial Inscriptions Transcription" compiled by the Essex Society for Family History so I am assuming that this and what you mention, are one and the same thing. The record shows: MI Reference 11. That detail may produce extra results.

Interestingly, on the same site, there is also a 2 pound fee for an Essex Parish Burial Register search but I do not know if that is also for the actual page or just an extract. Not all that important if it shows no more than the GRO death certificate which should confirm age at death and residence. They take anything up to 3 weeks to arrive in OZ!

Cheers,
    Wendy

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by wendyar View Post
    Thank you for your prompt reply,

I have had a scout around the Essex Society for Family History site and emailed them for extra clarity. What I already have is from Find My Past and called "Essex Memorial Inscriptions Transcription" compiled by the Essex Society for Family History so I am assuming that this and what you mention, are one and the same thing. The record shows: MI Reference 11. That detail may produce extra results.

Interestingly, on the same site, there is also a 2 pound fee for an Essex Parish Burial Register search but I do not know if that is also for the actual page or just an extract. Not all that important if it shows no more than the GRO death certificate which should confirm age at death and residence. They take anything up to 3 weeks to arrive in OZ!
    Cheers,
    Wendy
    The clue is in the title - search the Essex burials index.
    It will be a transcription of the entry in the PR, and at the most will consist of a page number, entry number, date of burial, name of the person buried, age at death, 'abode' - which is more often than not either the name of the parish or the name of the town, not an actual address -and possibly the name of the priest who conducted the burial service.
    Usually you get date of burial, name, age, abode but each FHS has their own criteria for transcribing.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”