Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frederick Bray

Starting to feel at home

I think this could be him,but there is always a but Freds parents were Thomas and Susanah Turner however he did have a sister in law called Martha Turner my grandmother and an uncle called Henry, as i believe he did not have a very good home life, as he had a step father could he just have chosen what names to put on the marriage cert. in Canada.

Starting to feel at home

wrong post

Starting to feel at home

yes this him

janbooth

There is a UK Incoming Passenger List record on Ancestry for a Fred BRAY, aged 30, Electrician, resident of Canada, arriving at Liverpool on 23 December 1912 aboard the Mauretania. This sounds a likely candidate for the Frederick (& Louisa) BRAY that Peter has found for you in Post 5. There is also a UK Incoming Passenger List record for a Mrs Fred BRAY, Housewife, aged 30 & daughter Margaret BRAY, Infant, aged 6/12, from Quebec, arriving at Bristol on 4 July 1912 on board the "Royal George".

Does any of the information contained in these Passenger List records fit with what you already know about your Frederick BRAY, for example do you know anything about the children that your Frederick & Louisa/Louise may have had and what was the occupation of your Frederick? The more information we have about your Frederick Henry & Louisa/Louise BRAY in Canada, the easier it should prove to find them in the UK

Janet

Starting to feel at home

Hi Janet,
    Thank's for your reply I would like to think this is my Fred but am not sure the only evidence i have is the 1901 census he lived 8 Orpingley Rd Islington occupation carpenter, and a note left by my late mother saying Fred had gone to Canada his wife was called Louise and they had two daughters,The only reason for renewing my search is i had an email from the grandchildren of the Fred you listed above to see if we were related. Thank's again

janbooth

The Frederick BRAY who is in the 1891/1901 census of Islington is a Carpenter whose parents are Thomas & Sarah BRAY so is unlikely to be the Frederick BRAY, an Electrician, who went to Canada, married a Louisa WARWICK, and who shows his father as a Frederick Henry BRAY on his marriage record. But back to basics:

Thomas PARROT (stepfather to your Frederick BRAY in the 1901 census of Islington) is on the 1911 census of Islington with wife Sarah and they have been married 21 years with no children. There is a marriage at Holy Trinity, Finchley, Middlesex as follows:

18 October 1890 Thomas PARRATT, 44, Bachelor, Mariner, East Finchley, father George PARRATT (deceased), Shoemaker & Sarah BRAY, 46, widow, Edmonton, father John TURNER, Blacksmith. Both signed and the witnesses were John JAMES & Eliza LAMBETH. This marriage therefore fits in with the surname TURNER that you already know about.

This confused me somewhat as according to the 1891 census of Islington Sarah is still living with a Thomas BRAY and children at 8 Orpingley Road. However, I think the surname should actually be PARRATT and not BRAY as there is a death registration in the March qtr 1890 at Edmonton of a Thomas BRAY, aged 58.

Will do a bit more checking after lunch for the BRAY children marriages to see if I can confirm the details any further.

Janet

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for all your hard work , you will see in an earlier post i referred to a note left by my late mother i have just found and reread it about Fred she says "Fred married Louise they had two daughters Louise and Molly they emigrated to Ontario Canada about 1818" I don't know how accurate this is as she was very frail at the time, but the info. she left on her own family at the same time was 100% correct.

janbooth

Marriage at St Mark, Tollington, on 9 April 1898 between Francis THOMAS, 26, bachelor, Artists Colorman, 19 Vorley Road, father Francis THOMAS, Artists Colorman & Bertha Clara BRAY, 21, spinster, 8 Orpingley Road, father Thomas BRAY, Aeronaut. Witnesses: William Albert BRAY & Alice Maud BRAY. Again a bit confusing as Thomas PARRATT's profession in the 1901/11 census records is shown as an Aeronaut.

Ah, have found them at long last in the 1881 census of Finchley, Middlesex (RG11/1371, folio 129, page 45) living at 1 Field's Cottages, Park Place:

Thomas BRAY Head Mar 49 Carpenter Journeyman Midx St Lukes
    Sarah do Wife Mar 30 Gloucester
    Emily do Daur 12 Scholar Middx Paddington
    Bertha do Daur 4 do St Pancras
    William do Son 3 do Finchley
    Alice do Daur 1 do do
    + 1 Boarder

So Thomas BRAY's age does correspond with the death registration in Edmonton in 1890. The family are living as a separate household with likely parents, i.e. Thomas BRAY, aged 73, Carpenter, born Truro, and wife Susannah, aged 70, born Devonshire. Could this be where the Susannah comes from??

Unfortunately, I cannot find the baptism of any of the children of Thomas & Sarah BRAY online - at the moment. The marriages of both William Albert BRAY (1901 at Islington) and Alice May BRAY (1905 at Islington) are on the GRO Index but no actual parish register details for them that I have found so far. Will now investigate the emigration details you have just posted.

Janet

Starting to feel at home

This is them William Albert was my grandfather i have his details I have a tree on ancestry i don't know if you can see it.

janbooth

Well, I am having absolutely no luck in finding them at all, either on the 1911 UK census, marriage records, birth/baptismal records for the children or any emigration records nor can I find them on the 1921 Canadian census. I can find Frederick BRAY, Electrician, with wife Louisa and children Margaret & Irene in the Canadian census but no luck at all with your Frederick. Think I will take a break and refresh my "little grey cells".

Janet

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast