A fountain of knowledge

Default 1920s expression P.I.D's

I am typing up my grandmother's Journal from 1920 when she sailed out to India on her own to
    join her husband who had been posted there. Wonderful to read the expressions "jolly" and "topping" etc
    but she says several times when she found something funny "I nearly" and it looks like "P.I.D's".
    or is it P.J.D's?

Curious to know what it means - if rude better to send me a pm!

with thanks
    Jill

Valued member of Brit-Gen barbara lee's Avatar

Well, I can think of a rude one! You may have had many PMs with this suggestion already, but I suggest pee'ed (or similar) in drawers might be right. Nowadays we say "nearly wet myself"
    Sorry if this is too indelicate!

A fountain of knowledge

BARBARA Thanks! Yes had one pm along the same lines so it seems as though that indeed is what the expression is!.
    That's what I immediately thought of (to my shame!) but surprised my grandmother age c20 in 1920 would have heard
    of the expression, but perhaps she didn't know what it meant!
    Jill

A fountain of knowledge

"Mrs McCrankin"?????

Have now finished typing my up gm's Journal. She writes about her last evening on board before docking the next day and
    joining her husband. There was quite a merry time on board but then says
    "And now I am "Mrs McCrankin"????? such a good wee soul.

Out of interest does anyone know what that refers to.? She has mentioned various songs which I have found on google
    but can't find this. Using the Scottish word wee might mean it was a Scottish song although she uses that word elsewhere
    when referring to her Scottish husband.
    with thanks
    Jill

Loves to help with queries

This might be a long shot, but she may have been aware of a lady by the name of Josephine McCracken (or McCrackin) who had rather a colourful life - might any of the details chime with anything in your grandmother's experience?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph...ford_McCracken

A fountain of knowledge

DAVYR

Thanks so much for that and for the link - makes for interesting reading! Not sure why or how my grandmother would
    have heard of her and in the context of my gm referring to Mrs McCracken "such a good wee soul" but I am sure that
    your suggestion is correct.

Very pleased you spotted my posting querying this since I realised later that the heading of the thread is 1920 expression PID
    with thanks
    Jill