Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Kear in Cheltenham area

I would appreciate some help in identifying the parents of Albert KEAR, I have a marriage date of 3rd July 1906 to Julia Lawrence in Cheltenham.
    but understand there are numerous Kears in this area.

Thankyou in advance for any guidence.

Have you seen his military record on Find My Past? Had hoped next of kin might turn out to be parents - however only Julia named.
    Attested Jun 1916 at Bristol - age 30..
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Reputation beyond repute

Surely you just need to get the marriage certificate to find out his father’s name.

janbooth

As Peter has said, the best way to go back further is to purchase his marriage certificate. However, here is Albert with wife Julia in the 1911 census of Cheltenham:

Albert KEAR Head Mar 26 Gardener's Labourer (Market Garden) Glos Cham (presumably Cheltenham) 29 Jersey St?
    Julia do Wife Mar 26 do Cheltenham
    W C do Son 4 do do 6 Thurlgave St?
    Albert Edward do Son 8 months do do

Albert & Julia have been married 5 years, having two children both of whom are still living. The record is a bit messy with several crossings out but I think the above is the correct interpretation.

However, I think you may find that Albert was illegitimate. The only likely baptismal record I can find for an Albert KEAR using the parameters in the 1911 census record is a private baptism on 14 November 1883 at Cheltenham Holy Trinity of a Bertie KEAR son of Millie KEAR, Back of 21 Jersey Street, Charwoman.

I cannot find a Millie KEAR in the 1881 census records of Cheltenham but there is a Minnie KEAR (RG11/2569, folio 34, page 19):

25 Sidney Street

Mary KEAR Head Mar 59 Laundress Charlton Kings
    Mary do Daur Unm 21 do (unemployed) Staffordshire
    Minnie do Daur 16 General Servant Charlton Kings
    George do Grandson 2 Gloster Cheltenham
    Frederick do do 11 months do do

But there the trail appears to go cold - at the moment. I cannot find Albert/Bertie KEAR in census records prior to 1911, nor can I find a Minnie/Millie KEAR after the 1881 census record. She may of course have married but I cannot find any trace of a likely marriage. Just found a marriage in 1887 of a Minnie KEAR to a Frank PAYTON and they are in the 1891 census of Cheltenham (RG12/2046, folio 20, page 5) living at 1 Providence Cottages with their children the eldest of whom is a son Bertie aged 7 born Cheltenham.

So, I do think it is imperative that you purchase Albert & Julia's marriage certificate, as I could well be barking up the wrong tree completely.

Janet

Hi
    I was just going of helachau information re. Albert's army records it takes his birth to 1886
    I found just one Albert Kear, born 1886, Forest of Dean, Westbury on Seven, Newnham mother maiden ELSMORE.
    There is a marriage in 1879 for William Kear to Anne Elsmore at the Forest of Dean Daybrook Holy Trinity, William was 28 and Anne was 22

Peanut

janbooth

Don't think the Forest of Dean Albert is your Albert KEAR as he is in the 1891 census of Llantrisant, Glamorgan (RG12/4417, folio 71, page 38) together with parents William & Annie and several siblings. Back in West Dean in the 1901 census with parents William & Ann and siblings and then in Llantrisant again in the 1911 census with wife Annie and 2 children William Thomas & Stanley. This Albert KEAR is shown as born Cinderford or Forest of Dean, in all census records, not Cheltenham, which is where your Albert KEAR states he was born in the 1911 census and on other records. There is a marriage registration in the June qtr 1907 at Pontypridd reg district of an Albert KEAR to an Annie MORGAN which sounds a likely candidate for the Albert KEAR born in Cinderford/Forest of Dean.

No wonder I couldn't find a parish register image on Ancestry for your Albert KEAR's marriage to Julia LAWRENCE. His WW1 record shows they were married in Cheltenham Register Office, so it is even more necessary for you to obtain their marriage certificate as this is the only likely avenue to find out the name of his father. I cannot give you full details of Albert's WW1 record because of FindmyPast's terms and conditions, but one of his daughters was named Minnie Agnes - coincidental or what!! It could be worth your while looking at Albert's WW1 record on a pay per view basis or perhaps via your local Library if they offer this facility.

Janet

Thank you so much for taking a look at this for me. I am particularly interested in the Kear/Payton marriage and the 1891 census information if you could provide further details on the census family. As according to oral history when Albert / Bertie was marrying Julia Lawrence she was under the impression that his name was Payton and not Kear,which leads me to believe that he was brought up as a Payton.
    I will now proceed along these lines,so once again many thanks to you and to all on here.

Gloucester Citizen, Friday28 September 1883
    PETTY SESSIONS - Thursday
    AFFILIATION CASE - Frederick Greenaway was summoned by Minnie Kear to show cause why he should not contribute towards the support of her illegitimate child, of which she charged him with being the father - An order was made for 3s a week and costs
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Healachau,
    This is awesome and I'm very thankful.Please let me know on which site you were able to view Gloucester Citizen record.

janbooth

Sorry to be so late re your query about the marriage of Minnie KEAR & Frank PAYTON - I have been on holiday. The marriage appears on the GRO Index in the December qtr 1887 at Cheltenham reg district. However, I cannot find the marriage on Ancestry's Gloucestershire parish register images, so I wonder if they too were married at Cheltenham Register Office.

Janet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast