Thread: Probate

Starting to feel at home

Default Probate

This might be a legal question. I have located my great great grandfather Josiah Bunn born in 1848. There is a probate record that states he died in 1923 but probate wasn't awarded until 1937. Is this right? I thought probate would be given shortly after death

Wilkes_ml

In some cases it can take many years to complete probate, especially if there is some dispute. However there may be other reasons for the delay.

edited to add - here is an example I posted years ago about a probate 66 years after decease

https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...t=curnick+will

Reputation beyond repute

Probate often isn't necessary for small estates. It can happen that several years later the family find that they can't get their hands on a particular asset without probate. Financial institutions are not consistent in setting limits beyond which probate is required.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

When did Josiah's wife die? I note the address on the 1911 census and probate record are similar,,,,was it for a house sale?

Starting to feel at home

Just checked and it looks like Josiah ' s wife Sarah died June 1937. So could he have left money or house to his son but stated he could not have this until his mother died?

Reputation beyond repute

So could he have left money or house to his son but stated he could not have this until his mother died?
    The Probate Calendar shows that this was an administration meaning that there was no will so he didn't leave anything to anyone.

That's not to say that this wasn't connected with the widow's death. Perhaps the son discovered some asset that she hadn't dealt with.