Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

There is a medal index card for him as Robt J Roberts, Sgt, RFA. Original number 822, later number 731641. He had the Victory and British, but not the 14/15 Star which implies that he reached the Theatre of War after the end of 1915. He could have joined up well before that, but not left the UK.

His service records seem to be among the >60% that were destroyed during WW1, unless he stayed in the army until 1921 or after, in which case the MOD still has them.

Reputation beyond repute

The actual medal roll (which the medal index card points to) says he was a Saddler Sergeant and was previously in the Territorial Force. Perhaps he continued in the TA (as it became) after the war.

See https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...-territorials/

Thanks Peter,
    How did you see that he was a Saddler Sergeant? Was it the 124B after the Victory (TF) RFA?
    He was a Trimmer before the war (on horse drawn carriages then on motor bodies) I suppose it makes sense that he would have a roll that was related to horses. By 1925 he was no longer in the Army.
    I suppose what I'm really trying to track down was the details of the regiment and where the were etc. Regiment No 822 is not one that shows up very regularly

Being a saddle sergeant, would that mean he was part of the wagon team, not an artilleryman?
    Pardon my ignore but I still don't really have an understanding of what his medal index card is saying.
    I'm also interested in where he may have seen battle etc

Reputation beyond repute

How did you see that he was a Saddler Sergeant?
    The medal index cards (note the word 'index') point to the original medal rolls. If we look at the original medal rolls (on Ancestry in a record set called 'UK, WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920'), we see that his rank is 'Sdlr. Sgt.'.

By 1925 he was no longer in the Army.
    What I suggested was that he might have continued in the TA after the war.

I'm also interested in where he may have seen battle etc
    I don't think we've uncovered enough basic information (yet) to get very far there.

I have since found a group photo of my Grandfather which has written down the bottom of it "Headquarters Staff, Welsh RGA". I see from his sleeve that he is a Sergeant so yes he was probably A TF after the war. I wonder why the medal index doesn't have Welsh RGA listed on it?

My grandfaher is back row, middle right.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

The medal index card was only for regiments he served with during the war, his service records will have all the details.
    The card shows he was awarded a Victory and British War medal, which are recorded on the medal Rolls RFA 124/B on page 4855, both were issued at the same time and are recorded on that page.
    read here - https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldi...medal-records/
    regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12