Thread: Dyer, Gurr

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Dyer, Gurr

Hi my name is Nick and I am new the this, I have decided to try and trace back my Mothers side of my family. Her Married name was Elizabeth Rose Eckersley, she was married to Raymond Henry Eckersley. She passed away in Feb 2000 Tunbridge Wells Kent. Her maiden name was Dyer. The reason I want trace my Mothers side is because my Grandmother, (mums, mother) spent most of her adult life as a patient in Hellingly Mental Hospital East Sussex and I would like some information. I believe her name was Rose Gurr, This is all I know, except she passed away in 1966 and is buried at Groombridge in East Sussex. Thank you for taking the time to read this

Brick wall demolition expert!

The first thing you need is your mother’s birth certificate because that will give you her parents names.

Based on the information in the death index for your mother, she was born 30 May 1929, and her birth index references are April quarter 1929 Tonbridge, Volume 2A Page 1446. And her mother’s maiden name was Gurr.

In 1928 April quarter East Grinstead volume 2B page 361 Rose E Gurr married Frederick W Dyer.

There are a lot of Frederick W Dyers so you would need the marriage certificate to get his father’s name which would narrow the field down. If you are in luck it will give his age.

Surprisingly there is more than one Rose E Gurr so again the marriage certificate becomes important.

Certificates can be ordered online from the GRO – passport office - https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Name well known on Brit-Gen

1939 living in Uckfield

Frederick w DYER born 1902
    Elizabeth Rose Eckersley ( Dyer) born 1929 - the record has been amended to show ER's married name

Frederick's wife Rose Ellen, born 1901, is living in Hailsham.

Neither Fredrick or Rose wiill appear on the 1901 census as there birth dates were after the census
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 08-05-2016 at 4:29 AM. Reason: Removal of details in breach of FMP's T&Cs.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Rose Ellen GURR

birth entry
    Name:
    Rose Ellen Gurr
    Registration Year: 1901
    Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep
    Registration district: Hailsham Sussex
    Volume: 2b Page: 97

7 Glovers Cottages Polegate Sussex
    Edmund Gurr 55
    Ellen Eliza Gurr 47
    William Gurr 20
    Frank Nelson Gurr 12
    Rose Ellen Gurr 9

Ernest Alfred Gurr 7
    Minnie Gurr 4

add'l sibling Edmund Gurr b 1889 all born Sussex

marriage
    Apr-May-Jun 1928
    Registration district: East Grinstead Sussex
    Spouse: Frederick W Dyer
    Volume Number: 2b Page Number: 361

death
    Rose E Dyer
    Birth Date: abt 1901
    Date of Registration: Dec 1966
    Age at Death: 65
    Registration district: Hailsham Sussex
    Volume: 5h Page:367

Hello Nick and welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.

I have deleted your identical post in the Introduce yourself forum as duplication of posts can mean duplication of effort by our members.
    I see you are already receiving important information from Megan and geneius

This research guide at The National Archives tells you what records are available and where they are kept.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Nick. My father's maternal family included the Gurr family in Isfield, Sussex, and I found a useful free resource in a website called The Weald. It has family trees for many families living in the Wealden area of Sussex and Kent, as well as parish records and although it is not comprehensive, the information they do have tells you the source, which is useful. It is not so good on more recent data but if you are hunting back in time, there is quite a lot of potential. Hope you find your Gurrs.

Hi Nick, I have just joined this forum and noticed the name Rose Gurr. Did you find any further information? My grandfather Edmund was Rose's brother.