Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi guys, thanks for your help, I know that Charlotte was married to William Woolston Ball 12 July 1890, Farnham Surrey (I have a copy of their marriage certificate), so for 1891 census she would have been Charlotte Ball. William was in South Africa 22nd July 1890 until medical discharge 6th Sept 1892. Have them all on 1901 census living in Altofts Yorkshire. Charlotte didn't have a Sister Susannah, her Mother was Susannah. I just cannot trace Charlotte or Emily Agness (born 1891 Q1 Nuneaton Warwickshire) for 1891 census. x

PatR

Have I got the wrong Charlotte?
    The 1881 census shows her with parents John and Susannah and sister Susannah aged 5

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKX8-4WLF

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I beg your pardon, sorry PatR, yes you do have the correct Charlotte and she does have a sister Susannah. I think I need to give this Ancestry tracing a rest for a while, and come back with a new brain, as this one at moment seems addled trying to look for same thing all the time. Thank you kindly for your help. x

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I do not think it unusual that Charlotte is possibly still k/a WALTON. As a house servant the employers may not want to employ a married person!

I only searched Charlotte, 1870, Dorden Warwicks

PatR

I do think that geneius is correct with the 1891 census for Charlotte. I've searched for her as Ball as well as Walton and all the variations I could find and nothing else is coming up.
    There is this record for Emily A Hurly but on looking at the image the name could easily be Ball. She is 2mnths old and a lodger.
    The Hurly family could possibly be relatives or perhaps were being paid to care for her.

RG12 piece 2445 Folio 179 Pg 8

PatR

Family Search have her transcribed as Hall but I do think that this could be your Emily A

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:WKGT-62M

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you all very much for your helpful hints, your great. xxx

A very warm welcome to Brit-Gen.
    Do you have any details of Charlotte after the marriage? In case not -
    The 1901 Census has Woolston's occupation as "Licensed Hawker (with help)" - and there's a certain poignancy about the "with help"

The London (Edinburgh Gazette) https://www.thegazette.co.uk/Edinbur...1575/page/1339
    has an entry under Bankruptcies/Receiving Orders for a Woolston Ball, 16 Lee Brigg, Altofts which fits the 1901 Census identified above.

The Leeds Mercury, 8 Jan 1904 has a snippet about the bankruptcy - "Woolston Ball, general dealer, Altofts, had a deficiency account of £117, and he said the reason of his failure was the death of his wife, on whom he had to depend for the paper management of the business".

This could be her death registration Charlotte Ball, age 32, Sep Qtr Wakefield, Yorkshire, 9c 22
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Many thanks to all you lovely people, your help is greatly appreciated. xxx

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by PatR View Post
    Family Search have her transcribed as Hall but I do think that this could be your Emily A

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:WKGT-62M
    Ancestry has her transcribed as HURLEY however if you look at the original she is down as Emily A BALL an amendment to the transcription needs to be made
    RG12; Piece: 2445; Folio: 179; Page: 8

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12