Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Default EVAN JOHN ROWLANDS/LEWIS

EVAN JOHN ROWLANDS born 1884 died 1929 - my gf Henry's brother = parents David and Rebecca Rowlands. Tonyrefail.
    EVAN JOHN ROWLANDS (known to the family as Jack) born 30.4.1884 Tonyrefail, Glamorgan.
    Died 6.2.1929 Penygraig, Glamorgan. Married Sarah Lewis 1914. Parents David and Rebecca Rowlands.

In my thread "Rowland/s (Jones) Glamorgan No. 15 I posted as below:

"Curiosity is getting the better of me and I wonder if anyone is able to find record of his 1stWW service? My Father and Uncle recalled that he suffered from poor health and at outbreak of WWI, was rejected on medical grounds. However, as the War progressed and the demand for men increased was eventually accepted in c1917, sent to the Western Front but soon invalided out. Neither my Father or Uncle met him and said that Evan John had died just after the War so were very surprised when
    I found death was 1929. NB Not to be confused with an Evan Rowland Jones - another side of the family! I'd very much liketo know when he joined up and if in fact he was invalided out "shortly afterwards".

I now have an MIC - please can anyone interpret the contents! All I understand is that this says this person was in the Army Service Corps but can anything be ascertained from it and, of course, is it
    my relative!

Sorry I can't seem to copy it but below is the info:

ROWLAND EVAN J

ASC Rank PT Reg No M/340355

but re medals
    Victory Rase?/101 B236 Page 24264
    British " "

with thanks
    Jill

Reputation beyond repute

He was a Private in the Army Service Corps. The 'M' prefix to his service number indicates Mechanical Transport. He received the British War Medal and Victory Medal.

This stuff below the line is just a pointer identifying where to find him in the actual medal rolls. The medal rolls are on Ancestry but you can't use the list and page numbers from the MICs to search. However you can search using his name and number. The database on Ancestry is called "UK, WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920". As it happens there is no further useful information in the medal rolls for that man.

There is no way to tell whether or not this is your relative.

There is also an Evan Rowlands on the pension records WO 364 (indexed as Evan John but I'm blowed if I can see the word John in the record). Presumably you have checked this.

A fountain of knowledge

Dear Peter Thanks so much for your prompt reply and for the explanation in your first para and info in the second.
    So since I presumably have his service number ie Reg No M/340355 does this mean I have enough info to ask the MOD
    if they have his records?

Out of curiosity what does the word "Rase" mean as in Victory Rase?/101 B236 Page 24264
    British " "

You further say "There is also an Evan Rowlands on the pension records WO 364 (indexed as Evan John but I'm blowed if I can see the word John in the record). Presumably you have checked this."

No I haven't but what action would I take when you say check ie what and where? I'm not a member of ANC.
    I have overlooked what Christina said in the other thread No. 19 as below:

"There is a pension record for a Evan John Rowland 2235 1/5Welsh regiment but absolutely no indication if this your man. I can't even see a birthdate for him. However he signed up in 1/9/1914 and was demobbed in 1919 so if your information is correct this can't be your man.
    The address given at discharge was 9 Coronation Terrace Merthyr Rd Pontypridd"

as I just read "can't be your man" but could well be as he may have been temporarily absent on medical grounds until
    final discharge?.

How would I check who was living at that address please? Doesn't one have to be a member of Anc for electoral rolls?
    He married Sarah Lewis in 1914 reg Pontypridd.
    with thanks
    Jill

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    Out of curiosity what does the word "Rase" mean
    I think it's RASC, Jill.

The Army Service Corps became the Royal Army Service Corps in 1918.

Peter

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

HI

MOD don't have his records, if it has survived, it is on Ancestry or Find My Past. Over 60% were destroyed in WW2 by bombing, see -
    https://www.greatwar.co.uk/research/m...ce-records.htm

Out of curiosity what does the word "Rase" mean as in Victory Rase?/101 B236 Page 24264
    British " "

It is RASC - Royal Army Service Corps - the name on the medal roll book.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

A fountain of knowledge

Very many thanks for the input which is much appreciated.
    Ref mine No. 3 is there any way I can find out who was living at the address

9 Coronation Terrace Merthyr Rd Pontypridd"

with thanks
    Jill

Allan F Sparrow

Try the Glamorgan Archives site: glamarchives.gov.uk

They have a form for sending them an email with your question. Or you can write to them at
    Glamorgan Archives
    Clos Parc Morgannwg
    Leckwith
    Cardiff
    CF11 8AW

They may want to charge you for information; I'm not sure, as it some time since I asked them about who lived next door to my grand-parents in Tylorstown. They did provide me a good answer.

Allan

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks very much Allan. I heard from Glamorgan Archives that they charge £30 to check the address so I will leave it
    - have to draw the line somewhere ! Also in view of fact that I don't even know if my relative. Further a friend has sent:

"See also Kew National Archives. You can purchase this record. But if you click on the image they provide (which they deliberately blur so you can’t read it) you’ll see what looks like ‘Edwar’ – could be the spot where they put the father’s name. If so – then this is not your man.
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D4965632"

I can't see any image so seems there's nothing more I can do other than pay £30 for the address to be checked!
    with thanks
    Jill

A fountain of knowledge

Sorry to come back to Evan John (known to the family as Jack) but understand there are new records that either
    have just been put online or are about to so if anyone comes across him it would be wonderful. There is still the
    address ref No. 6 to be checked (Glam records charge too much for an offchance look up)
    with thanks
    Jill

A fountain of knowledge

I haven't been able to progress finding Army Records for my relative Evan John Rowlands (known as Jack) as can't
    find who was at the address given on the Pension record card (see mine 3)

"Christina said in the other thread No. 19 as below:

"There is a pension record for a Evan John Rowland 2235 1/5Welsh regiment but absolutely no indication if this your man. I can't even see a birthdate for him. However he signed up in 1/9/1914 and was demobbed in 1919 so if your information is correct this can't be your man.
    The address given at discharge was 9 Coronation Terrace Merthyr Rd Pontypridd"

However this morning I have been sent an obituary for Evan John from the Rhondda Leader of 16.2.1929 which is a brilliant help:

"He saw active service with the King's Own Royal Lancashire Regiment and exposure in the trenches told permanently on his health, with the result that within a few years of his return to civil duties, he was compelled to retire."

Kicking myself I didn't think of getting an Obituary before. Not sure why he would have anything to do with Lancashire (no offence to Lancashire but I mean coming from Glamorgan!) But it bears out what my late Father and Uncle said that Evan John had bad health and was rejected time and time again until they were so short of soldiers he joined up. So that is a great help as rather than being told his records must be part of the "burnt" collection perhaps something can be found.

1) Is it possible therefore to find anything on him now please?
    2) Personal info on him in mine (1) and
    3) Are we able to tell if the MIC I was sent is for him

The Obituary also says that "He married Sarah second daughter of Mrs Lewis and the late Mr David Lewis of Penygraig who survives him" Can anything be found on her family ie to see if present day descendants - perhaps a tree on Anc..?
    the Informant on Evan John's death was Henry M (possibly Morgan) Lewis brother in law

IMPORTANT!

In midst of typing this have just been sent the following two cards from someone who kindly looked on "the surviving records on ANC.:
    (I can't copy them)

1) Rowlands Evan John Reg 27616 Rank Pte
    1. E Lanc R 34681 Pte
    8. R Lanc R 27615

2) Rowlands Evan Corps looks like Bham R Reg 27616 Pte enlist 4.2.1915 sick
    discharge Para 392 (XVI) KR Action taken List H 1453

TO SUM UP

Would welcome someone kindly summing up where we are then please - it would appear from the dates of the MIC I was sent
    previously that that card is not him but seems my relative has been found so would love any input ie explanation of the info sent.
    with thanks
    Jill

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast