Elizabeth 25, born Gilfach Goch, Glamorgan
    Sarah 22, born Llandilo, Carmarthenshire
    John William Gordon 26, a boarder

In which case, the follwing are the entries for the two preceding censuses:
    1901, at 11 Grovefield Terrace, Llantrisant:-
    John 43, miner, born Merthyr Tydfil
    Ann 46, born Llangwnwr [Llangunnor?], Carmarthenshire
    Sarah 12, born Llandilo, Carmarthenshire
    Harry 2, born London [! that’s what it says ! – probably a misreading during compilation of the census book]

1891, at 12 Sandy Road, Pembrey, Carmarthenshire:-
    John 34, miner, born Merthyr Tydfil
    Ann 36, born Carmarthen
    Margaret A. 7, born Merthyr Tydfil
    Elizabeth 5, born Gilfach Goch, Glamorgan
    Sarah 3, born Llandilo, Carmarthenshire

Lots of potential there, with approximate birth-dates.

Allan

A fountain of knowledge

P.W. HOLT

"Many libraries have subscriptions to Ancestry which you can access without charge. Have you checked to see if there is a library near you in London which does? pwholt"

Very many thanks for informing me of that. In view of my personal situation it is very difficult for me to go to a library.
    I did however go to one recently who helped me access ANC but then couldn't help me any further. I have been in touch with
    my nearest library who say I won't be able to see my tree so since curiosity is getting the better of me am in process of making
    an appointment with them to go in to establish situation!

ALLAN SPARROW
    As always, it is incredibly kind of you to have helped me again and found the census returns for me, particularly since the Obituary for Sarah's husband Evan John gave the Father as David. It is a wonderful help and certainly ties up all the info I had previously.
    Many thanks
    Jill

A fountain of knowledge

FURTHER TO ALLAN SPARROW's POSTING NO. 31 WITH CENSUS INFORMATION:

I noted that in the 1901 census neither LIZZIE or MARGARET are listed. Lizzie would be 15 and Margaret 17.

I have just been sent the following so list this information in the hope that someone recognises a family connection!
    I haven't investigated who the Morgans are! NB On Evan John Rowlands marriage in 1914 to Sarah Lewis, it was signed
    in the presence of LIZZLE LEWIS and a BEN MORGAN and note that on the 1911 census listing MARGARET she is in the
    household of a BENJAMIN MORGAN

FURTHER CENSUS INFORMATION:

"I’ve also managed to find Elizabeth & Margaret on the 1901 Census – living in Croisyceilog Fawr in Llandefeilog in Carmarthenshire, where they are living with William Edmund Davies, to whom they are listed as nieces. Full transcription is below:

- William Edmund Davies, head, single, 67, farmer & builder, born Llangeinor Carmarthenshire

- Benjamin Morgan, brother-in-law, married, 42, tailor, born Trelech Carmarthenshire

- Margaret Morgan, sister, married, 41, born Llangeinor Carmarthenshire

- Margaret Ann Bowen, niece, single, 23, Born Llandefeilog Carmarthenshire

- Sage Bowen, niece, single, 18, dressmaker, born Llendefeilog Carmarthenshire

- Margaret Ann Lewis, niece, single, 17, letter carrier, born Merthyr Tydfil Glamorgan

- Eliza Lewis, niece, single, 15, milliner, born Gilfach Gogh Glamorgan

Likewise on the 1911 Census I’ve also found Margaret living with the Benjamin Morgan listed in 1901 above, again noted as his niece. Details are as follows:

- Benjamin Morgan, head, married, 52, tailor,Born Trelech Carmarthen (married for 26 years – no children)

- Margaret Morgan, wife, married, 51, born Llangeinor Carmarthen

- Margaret Anne Lewis, niece, single, 26, housemaid domestic, born Merthyr Glamorgan"

​NB ON THE 1901 census there is a GWEN ROWLANDS hEAD born Llantrisant​ but haven't worked out if she is related yet!
    Jill

Allan F Sparrow

Glad you've been able to make some progress! There's enough information in those censuses to give a good chance of tracking these families down.

A fountain of knowledge

WAR DIARIES: EVAN JOHN ROWLANDS:

It's been established that my relative:

"Private Evan John Rowlands, number 27616, enlisted on 4th December 1915. He must have originally enlisted with the East Lancashire Regiment as number 34681 and he appears to have served with their 1st Battalion on the Western Front before he transferred to the 8th Battalion of the King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment. He is shown as having been discharged due to sickness on 3rd September 1917.

His medal entitlement is the British War and Allied Victory Medals plus the Silver War Badge, to show that he had been discharged prior to the end of the war, in his case due to sickness."

Records are seemingly not with the National Archives but I would like to see if he is mentioned in any War Diaries.
    I have read War Diaries for another relative and various names are mentioned in them.
    I have done battle with their web site but can't find out if they exist or rather what the reference numbers are to progress this.
    I typed in the Battalion details but it came up no record. Would that be correct or have I lost the plot?

with thanks
    Jill

SueNSW

Here you go Jill

1st Batt East Lancs - https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C7352163

8th Batt. Kings Own Royal Lancaster - https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C7352095

Cheers Sue

A fountain of knowledge

SUE NSW

Thanks Sue - that is an enormous help. Very kind of you.
    Jill

A fountain of knowledge

I am adding to this old thread as I would very much welcome input with finding
    birth registrations and some other info, for the Lewis family.

This post initially started with Evan John Rowlands and his WWI military record. He married
    Sarah Lewis in 1914 when her Father is named as John Lewis, a Miner (Post 24). This then progressed
    to her family and census info is given in Posts 31 and 33.

I am unable to find the marriage for her Father John who married Ann. I understood their marriage was
    1884 Reg. Q1 1884 Merthyr Tydfil. 11a 633 to Ann JENKINS. I don't know if this is correct**

Children: 1) Margaret Ann Lewis born c1884 Merthyr Tydfil I believe she didn't marry and don't know death

2) Elizabeth c1886 Gilfach Goch Died 7 Oct 1977 Porth Hospital - can't find Probate.

3) Sarah Llandeilo Carmarthenshire c1889 married Evan John Rowlands. She died 30 Oct 1965 Reg. Pontypridd
    Probate to Harry Lewis, retired Miner

4) Henry Morgan Lewis born 22 August 1898 Penygraig - NB Known as Harry. Died 7.4.1977 Reg Swansea.

However I can't find any of the births even deleting the mmn Jenkins. **

I don't have access to the actual census forms but in 1911 info is as below.
    Please could someone tell me from that census how many children were born alive and were alive then.

All info on my Anc tree.

with thanks
    Jill

Pontypridd
    Registration District Number 589
    Sub-registration district Llantrisant
    ED, institution, or vessel 15
    Household schedule number 249
    Piece 32307
    Household Members
    Name Age
    John Lewis 53
    Ann Lewis 57
    Harry Lewis 12
    Elizabeth Lewis 25
    Sarah Lewis 22
    John William Gordon 26

Hi Jill
    John and Ann married 28 years, 4 children born to the marriage, 4 still living.
    I did take a look earlier today for the birth registrations for Margaret Ann and Henry Morgan and like you can't find anything with a mother's maiden name Jenkins or without. Also searched without any forenames and still zilch. Then I had to leave it.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

It's possible their Mother's maiden name is Jones, unless you're certain Jill that it's Jenkins. Problem being there's so many possibilities for Lewis/Jones. I don't have time now to look into it further.
    Alma

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast