Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Descendants of James Blake and AlicebBrunsdon

Hi, looking for any information of above who married Stratford sub Castle, 1776 and all their children were born there inc my direct ancestor John in 1792. James became innkeeper of Rising Sun Inn,Salisburyuntil his death in 1803,then Alice took over. there was a George Blake, Innkeeper, New Inn ,I believe he's another son.this George married Mary Robertson, widow who was Wine Merchant Salisbury. Another son James I believe to be the one showing as Relief Officer in early census. There was also Isacc, Thomas and Joseph,he moved to London and was firstly Bootmaker then Postal worker. Alices father was Joseph Brunsdon,Yeoman.there was also daughters, Mary Ann, Alice and another. I am putting down all the facts I know in the hope someone knows something about this branch of Wiltshire Blakes.thanks

thewideeyedowl

Default Blake/Brunsdon researches

Hi Elaine and a very warm welcome to Brit Gen...

I think you really need to start by finding out about Stratford Sub Castle and the two families in general. There is a long piece about Stratford sub Castle on the British History Online (BHO) website - amongst other things, it mentions a Thomas Blake. (Just feed "British History Online" AND "Stratford Sub Castle" into a search engine and you will get there quickly.)

Discovery, the online catalogue of The National Archives (TNA) lists many references - most of the stuff is held in Wiltshire. For instance, this is the link to the probate of the will of Joseph Brunsdon, yeoman, dated 1792: https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...b-1fba420b1c33. You can then click through to the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre; you would need to contact them for details and, if you cannot visit, ask for a quote for copying. If that was the will of Alice's father, it would probably yield several names.

Search for Wiltshire and Swindon Archives. When you get there, run some searches in their online catalogues - I got 170 hits for John Blake and 70 for Brundson. (Bear in mind that these will cover a very long period, but you might be able to find a record relating to your families there. If so, you can contact the archivist about how to obtain a copy.)

Remember that the name Brunsdon might appear as Brunson/Brundon/Brundson etc.

A site called Moonrakers.org is dedicated to Wiltshire fairly history - it is actually run from Australia - and grew out of a mailing list. There were a few hits for the Blake and Brunsdon names.

Hopefully, you will be able to find some leads there. Someone who is good with parish registers will probably soon be along and able to give you some specific help.

Let us know how you get on.

Owl

janbooth

FindmyPast have transcripts of Stratford sub Castle baptisms and from these it look as as if James and Alice had the following children:

James 1777
    Mary Ann 1782
    Jane 1785
    Alice 1787
    Joseph 1790
    John 1794
    Isaac 1795
    Thomas 1799

No George amongst them, I'm afraid.

FreeReg have a marriage at Stratford sub Castle on 5 July 1827 of a James BLAKE, widower, & Sarah HUTCHENCE, widow, which may be relevant to you.

Janet