Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joseph Taverner

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Joseph Taverner

I've been trying find the baptism record for my 3rd great grandfather Joseph Taverner. From census records he was born between 1799 and 1802 in either Whitestone or Bridford Devon. He married Fanny Lake in 1820 in Whitestone and died in 1877. I've looked through numerous church records but can only find 1 Joseph Taverner who was baptised in 1791 in Moretonhampstead. Has anyone found that dates are different by this amount or been looking for the same info as me? Any suggestions appreciated.

Reputation beyond repute

but can only find 1 Joseph Taverner who was baptised in 1791 in Moretonhampstead.
    If you find any possible candidate such as this one, try to eliminate him by matching him with another marriage or death. In this case I think you can account for this man because he may have been living in Moretonhampstead in 1841 married to a Prudence.

Wilkes_ml

Have you checked non-conformist registers? Not all non-conformist registers are available online, but many are. Also, have you checked for a late baptism? It is always worth checking at least up until the person married, or the birth of their first child, as some people had themself baptised the same day as their first child was baptised.

Some people were baptised even later ( check out my thread https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...ight=very+late )

Some people just were not baptised, so be careful about assuming a baptism from another parish. As Peter said, check what happened to the other Joseph Taverner. Check settlement records etc. for the area if possible.

There's a George and Ann Taverner having children baptised 1800 +/- 7yrs at Bidford and Whitestone. Perhaps Joseph's record is damaged or difficult to read. It could be worth searching the registers page by page within the time frame. I myself had to do this to find my g.g.grandmother's baptism record.
    Alma

janbooth

I cannot find his baptismal record on the Whitestone parish register, the earliest TAVERNER baptism there seems to be that of a Sarah in 1802. His burial record shows that he was age 79 when he died in 1877 which does confirm the birthdate of c1798 and his 1841 census states that he was born in the county. These details are from FindmyPast, a pay per view site, so I am afraid I cannot give you full details because of their Terms & Conditions.

However, I note on Ancestry that possibly the same parents of the Sarah baptised in 1802 at Whitestone, baptised two other daughters, Elizabeth in 1794 and a Sarah on 13 March 1796 at Bridford who died on 19th May 1796, but this seems to be the last baptism of a child of George & Ann(e) TAVERNER at Bridford, so there could perhaps be a 4 year gap when a Joseph could have been born/baptised to this couple - but where?

Janet

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks everyone, I went through numerous devon records on FMP when I had a membership and couldn't find anything, difficult to read some of the originals so may be spelling issues, early records show as the having an alias of Avery as surname. I have also found that a son of Joseph was living with an uncle and an unmarked aunt in one of the census records. This lead me to think that the uncle and Joseph were brothers and George and Ann were parents, Joseph and Fanny also show on marriage record having a Joseph taverner as a witness. My grandfather George Taverners parents were cousins - confirmed from his birth cert so both lines go back to Joseph Taverner.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

There are also a number of earlier baptisms with George and Ann as parents in Crediton, so looks as if they moved around quite a bit, as you say maybe that Joseph was never baptised. Whitestone banns records show addresses at time of marriage but unfortunately the records start just after Joseph and Fanny married.

janbooth

Marriage of George TAVERNER & Ann EARLAND on 18 March 1782 at Whitestone, in case you do not have it, source Ancestry plus FMP have the actual parish register image.

George TAVERNER of Whitestone looks to have left a Will probated in 1836. His burial record in 1835 shows that he was born c1757. If you can obtain a copy of the Will, it might mention your Joseph in it.

Janet

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Janiceh,
    This is really strange... Based off the information in this post (your grandfather George being the child of first cousins with both lines going back to Joseph Taverner and use of Avery as an alias) I have a copy of my family tree that I'm pretty sure has you on it. If your parents are Alan and Pamela, my great grandmother (Elsie Hague nee. Taverner) was your grandfather George's sister.

The original document I have been working off has a Joseph Taverner who married Fanny Lake in 1820 in Whitestone was born in Moretonhampstead on 3/11/1791.

The original document I have been working off has definitely been in my family for a while, so does that mean you no longer think it is right if you think Joseph was not born in Moretonhampstead? Do you want me to email you a copy so we can compare notes (I've got names and birthdates and marriage dates but very few death dates)? It goes further back than Joseph Taverner b. 1791, to his Taverner great grandparents William Taverner/Avery (b. 1691) and Jane Aggett/Agate. I have then been able to extend it further back to 1550 through some of my own (and others') research and this puts the family in Bridford in the 1550s (although they lived in Lustleigh and Bovey Tracey too before moving to Moretonhampstead).

1841 Census HO107 265 11 3 1
    Address Old Oakhampton Road, St. Thomas, Devon

Fanny Tavenner, age 40 with Harriet, 20, James 8, Fanny 1

GRO Birth Registration Fanny Maria Taverner, Dec Qtr 1839, St. Thomas Union, 10 225, mother's maiden name Lake

1841 Census HO107 265 29 3 1
    Address - Nadder House, Whitestone, St. Thomas
    Listed among the "Baker, Yeoman" household -
    Joseph Taverner, age 40, born Devon

1841 Census HO107 254 7 4 3
    Address - Great Dockham, Moreton Hampstead,Newton Abbott
    Joseph Taverner, 45, born Devon
    Prudence Taverner, 35, born Devon
    + family
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast